German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I want enroll Sasha in a puppy class/socialization to be around other puppies. I think she may be on the shy side. Yesterday, she saw our neighbours dog and she ran back inside. She is 11 weeks. Last time we were at the vet he said to wait until shes had all of her shots. That is August. I do not want to wait until August.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
11 weeks and her last shot is in August? that does not sound right.

We started puppy classes at 10 weeks after the second set of shots and that is a great way to socialize and safe. After 3rd set, 15 weeks we started going to a local park (not dog park). At 17 weeks after all shots were done we now go everywhere! =)

I hope this helps, but something sounds very wrong about last shots in Aug? They are all 2-3 weeks apart and there are usually 3-4 sets depending on what week the first set was started.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I started going to the local park at 9 weeks.

Per our vets suggestion the dangers of an under socialized GSD were greater than the chances of catching Parvo.

You need to be careful and choose your park/playmates/time wisely. A bad experience at this age can be devastating.

Lots of people set up play dates in a friends home as an introduction to socialization.

I was lucky to have a good park with very responsible dog owners, close by. maggie bonded with Rose, a 5 year old female mixed breed. Rose schooled maggie in play fighting (very gently) and they became great friends.

Maggie always gets great comments on her temperament and is one of the most social GSD's in our club.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I started going to the local park at 9 weeks.

Per our vets suggestion the dangers of an under socialized GSD were greater than the chances of catching Parvo.

This, so much. After 2 sets of shots I was out and about walking my dog in safe areas (not dog parks/no petsmart floor) and I enrolled in a socialization class.

I agree, August??? That makes no sense for the shots to end then

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks everyone for great feedback, my mistake, last shots are in july.

i will be looking into enrooling her into a puppy class starting very soon.

thanks again.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Puppy class is not sufficient for socialization. Your puppy has to be exposed to people and dogs on a daily basis, especially if she is shy (like mine). If you want your dog to be friendly you have to have frequent meetings with people until she is not shy... same with dogs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts