German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are picking up our GSD @8 weeks on Saturday. I have read that it isn't recommended to start the puppy on RAW right off the bat. Is this true?

When did you start your puppy? or Dog?

·
Registered
368 Posts
if your having to ask then probably don't.
it is vital that a puppy get a full range of required balanced diet including vitamins minerals. and that means the right amount.
if your willing to do alot of research and even be prepared to use calcium/vitamin supplements etc and provide a large range of meats then go for it.
otherwise maybe wait until the pup is 12months and more structually matured before going to raw.
thats my opinion
cheers and good luck

·
Registered
261 Posts
My male was on raw at the breeders and came home straight to it. My female was switched cold turkey to raw the day I picked her up at 7.5 weeks.

Do your research, and it's really not that hard. Good luck with your new puppy!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My male was on raw at the breeders and came home straight to it. My female was switched cold turkey to raw the day I picked her up at 7.5 weeks.

Do your research, and it's really not that hard. Good luck with your new puppy!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I've been reading up and have read completely opposite views on when to start. Thanks for the insight. Still new to this forum thing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Picked up my pup at 8.5 weeks and started on the raw 4 days later. I do supplement with vitamins and minerals also add very small amount of cod liver oil once daily. We are fortunate to have a holistic vet and he supports the raw diet but stresses it must be balanced to ensure they are getting the right amount of calcium and minerals while they are growing. Axel is now 16 weeks old and a lean 40 pounds.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Yes, raw right away at 8 weeks - feed it right and it will be the most nutritious diet you can possibly provide. ;)

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Go to Welcome to the Raw Dog Ranch Lauri has excellent information on raw feeding and starting your puppies.

I do not feed kibble in this house so any pup I buy goes immediately to raw. Vit and mineral supplements (most do feed salmon oils, NOT cod liver oil, and often vit E) are not needed as long as you feed a well rounded diet. I do supplement my bitches before and during pregnancy with a B-complex.

If you have never fed raw, read Lauri's site and there are others.

Skylar, Zack, and Abby on the WEB

Raw Fed Dogs

The Many Myths of Raw Feeding

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Raw Food Diet is Based on Pseudoscience

I hear a lot of people talking about the virtues of the raw food diet and most of it is based on anecdotal evidence and bad science. I have included a link to a blog done by a veterinarian who makes some very compelling reasons for not feeding your dog a raw food diet. In short, there is no scientific evidence that your dog benefits from being fed raw food over commercial cooked food and numerous reason not to do it. Another issue that few people seem to address is the hazard that a raw food diet posses to you the owner. Even if a dog does not get salmonella, he can still spread the bacteria to you and your family.

Raw Veterinary Diets Skeptvet.com

·
Registered
701 Posts
I hear a lot of people talking about the virtues of the raw food diet and most of it is based on anecdotal evidence and bad science. I have included a link to a blog done by a veterinarian who makes some very compelling reasons for not feeding your dog a raw food diet. In short, there is no scientific evidence that your dog benefits from being fed raw food over commercial cooked food and numerous reason not to do it. Another issue that few people seem to address is the hazard that a raw food diet posses to you the owner. Even if a dog does not get salmonella, he can still spread the bacteria to you and your family.

Raw Veterinary Diets Skeptvet.com
This is laughable. Easily rebuked. Though, I won't start.
I didn't even want to post about it, but honestly, someone had to say it.

It's just another reminder, when given any sort of publication, to please use common sense (if in possession of), and always do your own research.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
I know I'm coming in late on this but here's my $.02.

Mauser, my GSD, and Kaynya, my Chinese Crested, were both switched to raw the day I brought them home at 9 weeks of age.

Spike, Fuego, Clark and Wasabi - my other Cresteds, were WEANED to raw.

I currently have another Crested litter that will be weaned to raw.

I've been feeding raw for over 15 years and never had a problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts