German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a little over a year GSD Zoey and my wife and I were wondering when would be a good time to get another GSD pup? Zoey as only had 1 basic obedience class but I doing really well, we also have her signed up for a sent work class and after that an intermediate obedience class in June. I was thinking when Zoey was about 2 but I'd like to get some opinions from you guys that have multiple GSD's already.

Also her training place is "University of Doglando" in Orlando Fl. If you want to see what training they have. Very good people there!
Link Here

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
It's kind of when you think she's "done" or at least reliable enough in her training. You don't want to be dealing with two dogs that have bad habits at the same time.

My goal after getting my boy and getting into titling/training was to at least have a CDX on him before the second dog came along. This should be doable within the year and so hopefully by the time he's 3.5 he'll have a sister.

The thing you should really think about when having two dogs that are about the same age...is the heavy costs that come with having two aging dogs. There is also a chance you lose them both very close together which will be rough on your family. But at the end it really depends on your girl Zoey, and how ready you are to have a puppy around. If you find that you're happy with her obedience, she doesn't have crazy bad habits that you still have to work on, you might be ready for another pup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Right now i have 3 dogs (not all GSD's though) and I wouldn't recommend getting a second dog until you are both financially and mentally ready to take both on. I would settle your first dog in and get comfortable and obedience out of him as well. After all of that I would get it as soon as possible. I got my second two dogs within a few months of each other and they are best of friends but my first dog wants nothing to do with them and will keep to herself. I'm not saying the time had a significant impact on their relationships but i do think it did influence a little bit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts