German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! The thing I love about these forums is personal experiences and not google, vet, or research answers. (Which I can do on my own) So on that note from y’alls personal experiences I am wondering what has worked for your female GSDs concerning spaying before first heat or post. In terms of health issues down the road. I appreciate any feedback thank you.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I wasn't planning on getting my girl spayed until she was 2 years old. Unfortunately, she jumped over the fence during her first heat (she was a little crazy during that time), was caught by our city's animal control, and taken to our local shelter. They wouldn't return her to me until she was spayed. She was 9 months old. :cautious: She recovered very well, though. She was in the back yard doing her laps the next day.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hi all! The thing I love about these forums is personal experiences and not google, vet, or research answers. (Which I can do on my own) So on that note from y’alls personal experiences I am wondering what has worked for your female GSDs concerning spaying before first heat or post. In terms of health issues down the road. I appreciate any feedback thank you.
Just wanted to make sure you knew there is a sticky (or pinned post) called "Best age to spay and neuter" on this Basic Care forum, might give that a look.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yes, there's a huge multi year thread on this;)
As a side note, vets are notorious for advocating for very early spay and neutering....like 3-6 months!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts