German Shepherds Forum banner

141 - 160 of 174 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I don't go to dog parks either but I go to public parks and you never know whos bringing what there.

yeah, they're asking for it but what would you do if there was a female in heat and your dog mounted her?
You read my mind with your question. It does take two. I could see that turning into the blame game pretty quick.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I don't go to dog parks either but I go to public parks and you never know whos bringing what there.

yeah, they're asking for it but what would you do if there was a female in heat and your dog mounted her?
If they tie, wait it out I guess. I think I have a higher chance of getting struck down by lightening though. 1) I don't bring my GSDs to dog parks, 2) the types of places my dogs usually frequent in public do not typically have visitors of the type that would bring a female in standing heat and let her loose and then try to blame someone else, and 3) like I said my male doesn't waste any effort with a female that's not actually ready, he can tell (sometimes he is right despite what a repro vet or progesterone test says). It's not something that's ever really been a concern. I do tons of training and events with my dogs. Many already ban females in heat and the ones that don't have people who have at least an ounce of common sense (for example, at flyball training when the females are in heat they just don't come, b/c even though all the dogs are trained and under control, they're still working off leash). It's more likely that my mutts would get in a spat at a dog park with another spayed/neutered dog. I think that due to the spay/neuter culture in the US is actually rare to meet an intact female dog that is not a breeding dog or at least owned by someone who has common sense. I don't know anyone that leaves their female pets intact for life just because (I know people who breed, or who leave a female intact until she matures or to evaluate late for breeding). In the dog world, it's the unwritten rule that the responsibility to prevent a tie lies with the owner of the female in heat. You see females in heat banned from events but you never see events that say "intact males are banned". I'm not saying it's *fair*, but that's how it is and that's one reason why I choose to train and compete with males. I don't have heat cycles interrupting my training and competition or limiting where I feel it's safe to take my dogs.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
I really don't want my dog bred but seeing how people do bring their dogs in heat to public parks and let them loose (this is not a dog park) I'm wondering if I'm always able to control it.

I thought I had 30 secs or so before a tie but I now see I don't. just wondering how people with intact dogs deal with this possibility, that's why I asked.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Honestly it's not something I've ever had to worry about, but I personally haven't had to deal with people parading flagging bitches around a public park and letting them off leash.

When I have a female at my house for a breeding I take every precaution. If she is out in my (fully enclosed/fenced yard), I am out there with her. She does not leave the house or the enclosed yard area, not even a leash walk anywhere (unless she needs to go to the vet). At home she is kept in a crate in my house away from the other dogs (not anywhere outdoors or kenneled) and I have a wooden gate/door installed. Not that it really matters since my other dogs are a neutered male who has never noticed a female in heat, a spayed female, my intact male who is supposed to be breeding her (so I suppose it's not the end of the world if he breaks her out), and then I have my 9 month old intact male that I take WITH ME any time I leave the house so I can be sure there is no way he breaks down the gate and busts her out of the crate. When the female is here, my breeding male is restless, more vocal, and more likely to bark at people going past the house (normally he wouldn't notice) but is not difficult for me to control. I don't have to crate him or use a leash just to keep him from trying to get to her. But when it is time to breed and I allow them to be together, he goes at it fast.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Lolol 'parading flagging bitches' and 'who's supposed to be breeding her so I suppose it's not the end of the world'

yep. I hate this park because of all the dumbness that goes on there but it's just such a nice space and the only one I can go to every day

·
Banned
1,673 Posts
Second part...your dog wouldn't be happier. It doesn't matter to him.
exactly this
i can tell you without reservation that dogs care very little if their parts are there or not
in fact it can be better without them really because they arent stressed over territory and the like

btw i wanted to point out a breeding is only one of the worries of your dog mating with a female
there is aggression issues (if another male wants to do the same) and also your male can be injured easily if a tie is attempted to be broken by the owner or even the female dog
both can be injured that way
there are also stds in the dog world so there is that risk as well

·
Registered
31,874 Posts
The only dog park in the tri-county area is about 1/2 acre for the big dogs and a little less for the small dogs. And yes, a well-seasoned stud can get busy quickly. I have not seen any get a tie in less than a minute, but when the dog is seasoned and the bitch is ready, it doesn't have to take all day to get the tie.

But with inexperienced dogs, or with dogs that are not on the optimum day, the dog will sniff and lick at the ground where she pottied and be attracted to her hind end, he may cavort about, step on her tail to get her to stand up. Press her to stand for him. He may mount her head. He probably will jump up several times, jump off and check where he is trying to go and try again.

People generally say, "oh, we only left them for a minute..." because they don't want all the wrath of dogdom to come down on them. They wanted a litter of puppies and they allowed their dog to breed their bitch, and now they are trying to figure out what to do next.

And that's the thing. I really don't think 99% of the people who keep them intact do it for the money they may make. But I wouldn't be surprised if your statistic Martemchik is correct about oops litters not being true oopses, especially when they just happen to be two purebreds of the same sex. But not because people want the money so much, but that people want puppies. They want to experience having puppies. They want a pup out of their dog or bitch. They want to pass on their great dog's genes, and so forth.

As for dogs being distracted by bitches in heat, whether or not they are on the field at the same time, doesn't matter. Bitches can be scented for miles they say. The dogs definitely know when there is a bitch in heat. A bitch in some venues will be dismissed if she proves too attractive to the males. Friends have told me they have used vanilla on their bitches to mask the scent. But there are bitches in heat at shows too. Some show people meet up at shows if the timing is right and breed the bitch behind the barn (sometimes literally). So we are talking standing heat.

The tie is generally what takes all the time. Yupp, if it happens waiting it out is all you can do. But both dog and bitch will be doing plenty to let you know what is going on, the bitch is flagging, etc, the dog is maybe barking excitedly, pulling and very interested. It isn't something that you can mistake for anything but. Really.

Just not something to worry about.

So yes, it is the people who own dog and bitch both intact that fail to supervise and separate their dogs properly that may have an oops.
Most of those oopses are oopses in name only -- "oh we were going to breed them, but when she was older" yeah, right, they let their dog get their puppy bitch.

If people were encouraged to wait until their dog was mature and properly trained before bringing home a puppy, then there would be no reason not to neuter the adult before bringing home a new puppy. Then dogs could be raised with the benefit of hormones for growth and development and there wouldn't be any oopses.

People who want puppies will have puppies. Some of them will be less up front about it and make like they weren't careful enough and it was a big mistake. It is kind of like the people who say their dog never showed any signs of aggression after it mauls someone. It is a problem for everyone who owns those kinds of dogs because it promotes the belief that they just turn. Same thing. When people play their OOPS card, it hurts all the people who want to keep their dogs intact longer because it promotes the belief that it can happen in a split second at the dog park.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
exactly this
i can tell you without reservation that dogs care very little if their parts are there or not
in fact it can be better without them really because they arent stressed over territory and the like

btw i wanted to point out a breeding is only one of the worries of your dog mating with a female
there is aggression issues (if another male wants to do the same) and also your male can be injured easily if a tie is attempted to be broken by the owner or even the female dog
both can be injured that way
there are also stds in the dog world so there is that risk as well
Mbd lol you picked the wrong part to agree to

I said maybe my dog would've been happier neutered and then he'd get to run around off leash and martemchik said the above.

but I realize that my dog wouldn't know if I neutered him or not. similarly he wouldn't know if I cut off many other parts.

we all do what we think is best. I'm sure that owners that neuter dont do it with the intention of hurting their dogs. They make decisions based on what they think is best. we just have have different opinions on what's best.

about aggression. I'd rather learn to deal with it. to me neutering is not acceptable. but I'm not knocking those that do.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
selzer, that's where I got the idea it takes a minute or two, from watching my friend's dog. she's not on top of hers like I'm on mine and he goes farther away than mine does and she was still able to get him off multiple times. they're all inexperienced so I'm sure that's why. lol lies' dog didn't let the female come in the yard))))))))))))

and I'm glad you mentioned the posts here about oops litters that took a minute. I also didn't believe them. they just didn't want to admit they did it on purpose. maybe some didn't but most do

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Red meat is red meat. If it causes cancer in humans, why not in dogs? Point is if people(in general) want to compare fixing a dog to a human, let's talk about diet too .
I missed this post. I didn't know it causes cancer. I doubt it's the meat. people have been eating red meat way before cancer was around. I just think that all the chemicals that everyone is breathing and eating is affecting everything. so it's not the meat but what the cows eat. just my uneducated opinion.

I'm not comparing fixing a dog to a human and I'm not deciding against it because of health issues. I just don't see a reason TO do it.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I missed this post. I didn't know it causes cancer. I doubt it's the meat. people have been eating red meat way before cancer was around. I just think that all the chemicals that everyone is breathing and eating is affecting everything. so it's not the meat but what the cows eat. just my uneducated opinion.

I'm not comparing fixing a dog to a human and I'm not deciding against it because of health issues. I just don't see a reason TO do it.
I don't think it's the red meat. Maybe the hormones they inject in the cow. I know it is causing younger girls to hit puberty at younger age. At which, if a women is producing early estrogen it can cause them to develop cancers.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
but diesel, weren't women producing estrogen early centuries ago as well?
the reason I believe that cancer is food and environment related is because that's what changed in the last century. chemicals everywhere.
everything else was around forever and there was no cancer. maybe some things are contributing factors but the main ones imo are the chemicals

·
Registered
879 Posts
but diesel, weren't women producing estrogen early centuries ago as well?
the reason I believe that cancer is food and environment related is because that's what changed in the last century. chemicals everywhere.
everything else was around forever and there was no cancer. maybe some things are contributing factors but the main ones imo are the chemicals
True , true. But . Women who begin menstruating*early, or who start menopause late, produce more ... And that has called into question the route*cancer-causingestrogens*take in stimulating tumors.

·
Registered
879 Posts
True , true. But . Women who begin menstruating*early, or who start menopause late, produce more ... And that has called into question the route*cancer-causingestrogens*take in stimulating tumors.

I'm not big on facts.... Only what I've seen. I've heard of this for awhile. It only make sense to me, because my mother in law got her period when she was 10, and develop Breast cancer in here 30s.

·
Registered
879 Posts
what I'm saying is, why didn't some of the women that menstruated early didn't get cancer 300 years ago
I don't know... This is what I learned. I'm not the kettle calling black. I still eat red meat, and love it. I was just going off why red meat is know to cause cancer. But to your question, a lot of people died back then. Mostly from UN known causes. Maybe because they didn't have the right technology like we do now to say it was cancer . :what: and honestly, I didn't live 300 years ago, and I don't think it was ever documented or recorded of what age these women got there period. So I really can't answer.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
.????????

What happened to this thread.
LOL.. Seriously!! :eek: Like most threads on this board, they always go off in another direction! :help:

As for the when too.. I think it really depends on the owners and what they are comfortable with... Also, what type of lifestyle they led and what plans they have for their dogs..

141 - 160 of 174 Posts