German Shepherds Forum banner

121 - 140 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
If I remember right your dog has some issues that some might say aren't solid nerves right? If I'm wrong please forgive me. If I'm right, why would you take your dog that is not neutered anywhere a female in heat might be? Is it a good idea to produce puppies that might not be solid? Do you want to be responsible for that? If you had a female, you could avoid situations like that by simply keeping her home when in heat. But you have a male that can and will be ready to mate whenever he can.
he does have issues and even if he didnt, that's not how you make pups, by letting him mount someone at a park.

he won't breed. I'm always watching him. we go to the park to train and to play not for other dogs. actually we go at 12 am to try to minimize the number of dogs and people that are there. I don't have a yard

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
I'd rather keep managing. some people would rather not. maybe my dog would be happier not neutered and off leash. I don't know.
Just these two points...

You want to keep managing...all the power to you...do you really believe the other pet owners out there are willing to put in that time to manage their dog if they saw the same issues you did? Or do you think people that frequent dog parks would rather not worry about it, and just let their dogs in and have fun.

Second part...your dog wouldn't be happier. It doesn't matter to him. He's happy with you. But the people that frequent dog parks don't think that way. They think dogs are happiest playing with each other, running around, having "fun." Not many realize that a dog interacting with their human, gives a dog just as much happiness (if not more) than playing with random/strange dogs.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
he won't breed. I'm always watching him. we go to the park to train and to play not for other dogs. actually we go at 12 am to try to minimize the number of dogs and people that are there. I don't have a yard
And you know you're different! Come on...how many people watch their dogs? I had to start watching my dog when he started "finishing" fights, and it made the park not fun, it made it stressful, so we stopped going. Easy solution. But most people at the dog park...they don't want to watch their dog, and they want to keep going to the park. So what's the easiest solution? Take the hormones out of the picture.

Trust me...the dogs, the breed, the over all dog population, will not be hurt at all if "pet people" were neutering and spaying. If anything, all it would do is avoid a few unwanted litters that might end up in the pound.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
I do agree with you that most people should neuter. I just feel bad for the doggies lol. antromorphizing? I'm sure.
this is a bad subject. people will always fight over this as they do over training methods.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
he does have issues and even if he didnt, that's not how you make pups, by letting him mount someone at a park.

If he mounts and connects with a female in heat at the park that is exactly how puppies get here. You can't just break it up either because you can hurt either or both dogs. I understand that you do everything in your power to watch him, but like someone else said, if someone comes in with a female in heat or even a stray dog 100 ft away and your dog takes off, there is nothing that you can do.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
I don't think it would end the dogs in the shelters. people are not adopting because there are dogs thst must be saved. they're adopting because they want a dog and they are figuring they might as well adopt. you know what I mean? Like people that don't want pets are not going to shelters and adopting just because the dogs need a place to go. maybe some but for most it's just a better place to get a dog.

so if shelters went empty today then they'd go to bybs and pet stores and wherever.

people's attitudes need to change.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
If he mounts and connects with a female in heat at the park that is exactly how puppies get here. You can't just break it up either because you can hurt either or both dogs. I understand that you do everything in your power to watch him, but like someone else said, if someone comes in with a female in heat or even a stray dog 100 ft away and your dog takes off, there is nothing that you can do.
doesn't it take a little while to lock? I know a lock can't be broken but I thought I have some time before thst happens.
but in any case, he's on leash or dragging a leash these days unless there's no one there

to be fair, he's on leash for nerve issues. I don't think I'd keep him on leash if he wasn't. I still want him playing with me but I'd let him loose. tough to do much with the leashes dragging on the ground.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I don't think it would end the dogs in the shelters. people are not adopting because there are dogs thst must be saved. they're adopting because they want a dog and they are figuring they might as well adopt. you know what I mean? Like people that don't want pets are not going to shelters and adopting just because the dogs need a place to go. maybe some but for most it's just a better place to get a dog.

so if shelters went empty today then they'd go to bybs and pet stores and wherever.

people's attitudes need to change.
It wouldn't end shelters but it might end so many innocent dogs being destroyed daily. Every oops litter takes away the chance of a dog or cat in the shelter getting a home.

One shelter, garbage cans filled daily. All these oops animals getting thrown away like trash. Yes peoples attitudes need to change:(

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=228401&stc=1&d=1406150433

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
aren't they made different? we also can't eat poop and raw stinky meat and a few other things without getting sick
Red meat is red meat. If it causes cancer in humans, why not in dogs? Point is if people(in general) want to compare fixing a dog to a human, let's talk about diet too .

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
doesn't it take a little while to lock? I know a lock can't be broken but I thought I have some time before thst happens.
but in any case, he's on leash or dragging a leash these days unless there's no one there

to be fair, he's on leash for nerve issues. I don't think I'd keep him on leash if he wasn't. I still want him playing with me but I'd let him loose. tough to do much with the leashes dragging on the ground.
Nah...sometimes it takes a while, other times it takes seconds. It depends on the dogs. We've had plenty of threads on this forum about how someone left their dogs outside for 1 minute, looked down at something, looked up, and bam there it was.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Nah...sometimes it takes a while, other times it takes seconds. It depends on the dogs. We've had plenty of threads on this forum about how someone left their dogs outside for 1 minute, looked down at something, looked up, and bam there it was.
good to know. I will be more careful.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I saw this picture before. it's horrifying. disposable.
It's what we as a society have chosen for these animals. They are living breathing things and don't deserve to die like this, everyday. This is why most people should spay or neuter. Not necessarily everyone, but definitely most.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
There's a lot of "what ifs" in the past few pages of this thread. Now, this is also purely anecdotal but NO, it takes SECONDS for my male to achieve a tie with a ready and willing female. We did a live cover breeding last summer and we were worried about the female being maiden...they were tied before she was even all the way into my yard, didn't even get the leashes off. It probably takes him half a dozen thrusts if the female is in standing heat and receptive. Same when he's been collected for long distance AIs, it takes him less than 10 seconds to ejaculate. The only reason it can take time is because the female isn't truly ready and wants to mess around or flirt and won't really stand for the male, or their anatomy just doesn't physically connect without some effort. But if both dogs are healthy as far as breeding and she is really ready, it takes seconds.

That said, he isn't really interested in a female that's not truly ready, and the breedings we've done the females have always been real nasty to him when they are no ready yet. When they are truly physically ready (not just in heat, but on a prime day for conception), he is much more dominant and persists until he gets a tie or is removed. It is hard to get through to him at THIS point, but on the days leading up to and the days after, he is easy enough to control verbally. Might be more distracted by the female's presence but it's not really a big deal, and we've done plenty of training, trialing, and showing around females and even females in heat.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
good to know. I will be more careful.
BTW...I don't believe that the risk of tying is huge at a dog park, or just out and about. It's really the people that keep two intact animals at home, without knowing what to do, and thinking it will be easy that freak me out. The ones that have an intact male, get a female, and chose not to spay. Those are the ones that usually end up with oops litters.

As an owner of an intact male...I don't worry about him getting out, and roaming, and finding an intact female to mate with. He won't jump my 4 ft fence to get there. It's not my biggest worry.

But if my bitch was intact...that would be a headache I wouldn't want to deal with.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
There's a lot of "what ifs" in the past few pages of this thread. Now, this is also purely anecdotal but NO, it takes SECONDS for my male to achieve a tie with a ready and willing female. We did a live cover breeding last summer and we were worried about the female being maiden...they were tied before she was even all the way into my yard, didn't even get the leashes off. It probably takes him half a dozen thrusts if the female is in standing heat and receptive. Same when he's been collected for long distance AIs, it takes him less than 10 seconds to ejaculate. The only reason it can take time is because the female isn't truly ready and wants to mess around or flirt and won't really stand for the male, or their anatomy just doesn't physically connect without some effort. But if both dogs are healthy as far as breeding and she is really ready, it takes seconds.

That said, he isn't really interested in a female that's not truly ready, and the breedings we've done the females have always been real nasty to him when they are no ready yet. When they are truly physically ready (not just in heat, but on a prime day for conception), he is much more dominant and persists until he gets a tie or is removed. It is hard to get through to him at THIS point, but on the days leading up to and the days after, he is easy enough to control verbally. Might be more distracted by the female's presence but it's not really a big deal, and we've done plenty of training, trialing, and showing around females and even females in heat.
Lol at before she was all the way in your yard))))))))

oh well, I'm glad this came up today then. I will be very careful.

but then how do people deal with this? so any public places for intact dogs are off limits then? since you never know who will bring their female in heat there

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
but then how do people deal with this? so any public places for intact dogs are off limits then? since you never know who will bring their female in heat there
Most dog parks will have rules about no females in heat. Some will have rules about intact dogs period. The biggest worry is always when the dogs are off leash. If the dog is on leash...it's not the most difficult thing to prevent.

I can tell pretty fast when I'm walking Rooney if there is an intact female around that's in heat. His demeanor definitely changes. So I get a little more watchful. If I'm walking him, we rarely say "hello" to other dogs anyways so its not a worry for me.

But yes...an area like a dog park, is way different. Who knows what's in there...and you usually don't have physical restraint/control of your dog. So there are generally rules posted...but it doesn't mean people listen or realize their dog is in heat.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Oh heavens no. Both my males are intact and I take them all over, though I don't personally use dog parks, but they do go to the off leash dog beaches. Someone who takes a female in standing heat to an off leash public park is asking for it.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
I don't go to dog parks either but I go to public parks and you never know whos bringing what there.

yeah, they're asking for it but what would you do if there was a female in heat and your dog mounted her?

121 - 140 of 174 Posts