German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Sorry if this topic seems a little overdone :cool:

The only reason I started a thread was because...I keep finding a bunch of different information!

Technically my puppy could be spayed right now. She is about 3 months old. But should I wait? Or get it done before her first heat? I do know there are health benefits to that. But how significant are they?

Is it better to wait after she is a year? Two years? I don't want to mess up her growth, or give her orthopedic issues that she would not have had. Yet if she goes into heat, I don't know how my (both neutered, but still) males will react.

Many GSD breeder health guarantees are void if the dog is S/N before 2 years. Is this because of the growth issue?

I think 6mos-1yr will be fine, but I am still concerned about her growth. :blush:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!!!!!! That really helped out.

BTW...is there a way I can quick search the forums or would I have to go through each page until I found what I was looking for?

·
Super Moderator
32,306 Posts
There's a google custom search box right above your original post that will search for key words on this board only. There's also a search button on the black bar above and to the right of the google search. I usually go to "advanced search" for more options so I can narrow down my search more. You can also go to a particular forum and scan through the recent threads, but sometimes I don't remember what forum I've seen something in. You can view your previous posts and the threads you've started from that same search button.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wondering if the partial spay allows the hormones to stay after spaying then why now spay at 6 months?? I cant see my pup allowing the diaper to stay on in the ex-pen,crated or anytime I am turned away from her. She is 4 months now. I have a huge desicion to make.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Puppy humping and neutering

My pup will be 5 months old at the end of the month.. today, at the dog park, he humped one day many times and one other for a bit. I hate to see dogs hump and I stopped him when seen. MY question. Can a 5 month old male pup already be exhibiting sex actions? Might a neuter fix this now? I wanted to wait till 8-9 months so my pup could get some growth but humping is not something I like to see. Also, I think I need to get his hips xrayed, ( some bunny hopping) and I was told that 6 months was the right time for that. How about doing the neuter/hip x-ray at 6 months? or wait a while more? thanks

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
Humping is just a normal dog behavior. One of our worst humpers is a girl. She humps her brother all the time.
That said, neuter when you and your vet decide, because you'll get 50 different responses here :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
time to neuter

I sent my pup , who will be 5.5 months old in a few days, to a trainer bec I wanted some help with whining, jumping. digging,chasing the cat, etc.. I know perhaps I should train at home and the trainer said that after 4 days at her ranch. she believes my pup will train better at home.,so this is the plan. My question. today the trainer told me that my pup attacked her 15 month old spayed girl. They had been best friends when he arrived on Friday and this morning, when he was taken off leash. he ran to her ,pinned her down and punctured her neck. One of her other service dogs stopped it all. The trainer seems to think it was aggression and hormones, as the pup had his body in a humping position. I forgot exactly how she described it. I was planning on waiting till 6 months to neuter so I can get a good xray of his hips. the trainer thinks I should neuter now. I find her report shocking as my pup is usually quite docile and will be leary of some dogs, though he will play quite well with other pups but never is he the tough player in the pair. and I have never seen any aggression whatsoever.. any thoughts assuming her reporting is correct? She does no negative training ., besides verbal OFF and light tugs when whining, etc. only verbal AND lots of praise.. no treats,. so I don't think her training had any effect on my pup's behavior My guy has done very nice sits and downs, and stays, though he still whines but I do think the trainer has a brain. help...

·
Registered
146 Posts

Having not been there, I cannot tell you what happened.. I found the trainers story shocking and beyond belief, though who knows.. she has no reason to make this tale up???

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, being that you weren't there you can only go off what she has told you, that definitely makes it difficult. If that seems out of character for him, I would think there had to have been some variable that contributed to the action. Did the trainer say if there was anything different about what was going on that led up to this?

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
You can read about it here, i think it's really helpful:
Spaying or Neutering Your Dog FAQ
No offense, but it's also really biased.

Take this for example:

"Shelter euthanasia is the number one killer of companion animals. Spaying and neutering is the only way to reduce or eliminate that."

Well, no. . . spaying and neutering is one way. Another way is to supervise your dog so it doesn't get pregnant or get another dog pregnant. Another way is to educate people so they view pets as a part of the family and don't obtain and dispose of them so easily.

"There are still some people who say pediatric spay/neuter is dangerous, but that’s not true. It has become much more widely accepted. "

--The subject of pediatric spay/neuter is far from a settled issue. It's hotly debated.

"In males, it eliminates testicular cancers or diseases and can lower the risk of prostate cancer. "

--Actually, some studies show that neuter increases the chance of prostate cancer. It's also has been shown in some studies to increase the risk of osteosarcoma.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The bottom line is if you plan to have a litter with your German Shepherd pay attention as they grow up. If there is anything that is questionable spay/neuter them asap. You are making sure other dogs like them don’t generate out there to be thrown out or surrendered. A personal experience with your GS is a priceless one, keep it as that. Yes they do live a long healthier life if spayed or neutered. It downgrades the stress level esp. males.

·
Registered
866 Posts
"There are still some people who say pediatric spay/neuter is dangerous, but that’s not true. It has become much more widely accepted. "

--The subject of pediatric spay/neuter is far from a settled issue. It's hotly debated.
It's actually - at least just based on my own casual observations - becoming less accepted. But, yeah, very hotly contested.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have decided for the most part to leave Zore "intact" He just turned five months this week, did some research and read alot of threads on the subject We consider our selves to be very good dog parents, training is going just fine, spend time on training almost everyday when I'm not traveling. Our yard is totally fenced in, chances are slim he will ever get out to roam and create unwanted puppies in the world. Our others never did ( this is our first boy) so we are going to see how he grows up for a while.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I just booked my apt for spaying my girl.

I trust my vet completely. She advised me to do it around 5 or 6 months, so she'll be almost 6 months when I'm getting it done.

If she were a male, I'd wait longer, probably at least a year, but my vet told me for females it's a much easier recovery while they are young and their stomach muscles aren't as 'tough', and also you basically eliminate the risk of mammary cancer. She said the younger dogs generally heal faster.

It's not an easy decision, that's for sure and one that's hotly contested.

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
black, I also feel that is best, for my own girls as well as fosters here.
I check our girls who were left intact longer (and we adopted later in life) almost monthly for lumps in their breasts :(

1 - 20 of 174 Posts