German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been hoping to have Shasta spayed before she went into heat, but, alas, my dream has been thwarted. She's been on antibiotics for a full week now for her "fever of unknown origin." Her teats are swollen and I expect her to go into heat at any time.

She has three weeks to go on the meds. I'm wondering how long to wait after she comes off the meds to spay. Since there was no diagnosis on the fever, I'm worried about her ability to handle an infection.

I'm sure our vet will have an opinion, but I'm still in the process of evaluating her; I'd like to know what people with more dog experience than I would consider prudent.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
32,585 Posts
If she looks like she's about to go in heat at any time (and at 8 months old, that's entirely possible), her illness will probably be a moot point in the timing of her spay. I'd give her about a month for the heat, and then wait at least a month but preferably 2 or 3 months after that to spay her. By then she should be fully recovered from her illness. I certainly wouldn't put her through surgery right now, and in a couple weeks you'll may not have a choice about waiting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that kind of confirms what I was thinking. I really am expecting her to go into heat at any minute at this point. Dang it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,951 Posts
Zoe didn't have her first heat until she was 10 months old so you may have a few months yet anyway. Heats are not as bad as I'm sure your imagining just get the silly velcro belt thingy and some pads:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zoe didn't have her first heat until she was 10 months old so you may have a few months yet anyway. Heats are not as bad as I'm sure your imagining just get the silly velcro belt thingy and some pads:)
She's blown her coat and her teats are swollen so I'm feeling like it's imminent. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,951 Posts
Well if it's time it's time and really not bad I swear,lol There are benefits to that first heat anyway according to my vet it helps vascularity:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well if it's time it's time and really not bad I swear,lol There are benefits to that first heat anyway according to my vet it helps vascularity:)
We have belt and pads standing by!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wait till you see her face when you strap that thing on...it's priceless,lol
I'll bet...better remember to have the camera handy!
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top