German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading some of the old threads about the best time to bring home a new puppy, and most sources seem to think 7 or 8 weeks old is best. The issue I have is that the puppy is from a very small liter. They will be 7 weeks on April 1 (a Monday), but one of her siblings will go home at 6 weeks and the other will leave the last weekend in March. I was just wondering if there would be any reason to leave her with the breeder after all her siblings are gone? My husband has an adult lab, so she would still be around another dog. Does that make a difference? I definitely want to do what's best for her, but it's also more convenient to pick her up on the weekend instead of on Monday or later that week.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If she's still with her mom it can still be beneficial to keep her the extra week. They learn a lot about bite inhibition from their mothers as they grow and that's extremely important. My pup was separated from her mom really young bc she was a rescue and she is just starting to learn not to hurt people and draw blood when she plays

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I'd rather wait the extra time until she's 8 weeks or over. Bite inhibition is learned as well as some other behaviors. I know cats and dogs are different beasts, but our one cat who came to us at about 5-6 weeks had/has issues that can be attributed to coming home so early.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I would not trust a breeder that let pups under 7wks go to novice homes... It is not about what is convenient for the breeder or you - it is about what is in the best interest of the pups.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I would agree with the above posts, however, if she will be 7 weeks old on Mon April 1, I would see no real issue in taking her/him the last weekend in march..

Six weeks, yes in my opinion to young, that extra week could be beneficial..7 weeks, no big deal in my book and a couple days (sat or sun right before that April 1) isn't going to much matter.

Congrats on your new puppy

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If she's still with her mom it can still be beneficial to keep her the extra week. They learn a lot about bite inhibition from their mothers as they grow and that's extremely important. My pup was separated from her mom really young bc she was a rescue and she is just starting to learn not to hurt people and draw blood when she plays.
Yeah I was wondering if our other dog would help teach her this as well?

I would not trust a breeder that let pups under 7wks go to novice homes... It is not about what is convenient for the breeder or you - it is about what is in the best interest of the pups.
Apparently the other buyer is a vet tech and had reasons for wanting him that young. The breeder was pretty laid back about when they were picked up (not really her best trait, but also not like she was trying to push them out as fast as possible either). From what I've read on other sites, the period between 6 and 12 weeks is the best time to leave the litter with pros and cons at both ends depending on your particular situation (what kind of socialization you plan on doing, how 'doggy' you want the new puppy to be, etc.). I know we will probably have to work more on bite inhibition than if we get her later, but we got our lab when he was 8 weeks and still had a good bit of bite inhibition to teach anyway.

I would agree with the above posts, however, if she will be 7 weeks old on Mon April 1, I would see no real issue in taking her/him the last weekend in march..

Six weeks, yes in my opinion to young, that extra week could be beneficial..7 weeks, no big deal in my book and a couple days (sat or sun right before that April 1) isn't going to much matter.

Congrats on your new puppy
Thanks!:D

·
Banned
377 Posts
I would say leave her with the breeder for as long as possible up to 12 weeks, assuming that the breeder is socializing her.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I've gotten puppies at 7 weeks and I've gotten them at 12 weeks (8weeks as well) and never had a problem

1 - 9 of 9 Posts