German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this question has been asked on here a million and eight times, but I'm not sure when I should neuter Ozzy. I plan on doing it between 18 months and 2 years (leaning to 2 years), but I'm not sure if small dogs develop the same rate larger dogs do.

I want to neuter him after he's matured and filled out so he's a little 'thicker' than some I've seen that were neutered too early. Do little dogs mature faster than big dogs, or does a Pom mature at about the same time a GSD does?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
You're right, it's been asked a ton of times and there are a ton of threads on it for Large Dogs....not small. I'm not sure for small dogs...i'd ask my vet :)

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Are there forums similar to this one for small-breed dogs? Maybe you could do a search on those. I imagine folks on this forum aren't going to have as much experience with the little guys.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Maybe you could get some input from his breeder?

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I heard that small dogs mature faster than big dogs, don't know if its true. I would ask other Pom ownes and Pom breeders.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I've also heard small dogs mature faster. I have a male Papillon that will be a year old Nov 14 and he looks fully mature. And a male Pom mix (he looks pb jus but about 15 pounds) he was about 5 months old when we found him. Because he started to loose all his puppy teeth about 2 weeks later and got really Poofy. He's about 8 or 9 months old. And he also LOOKS fully mature. The only thing stoping me from having them Neutered now is that they still ACT inmature and puppiesh ill proabably have them fixed when there 16 months old jus to give them a lil more time to mature a lil more. Right now they act like a typical teenage boy :p but there good boys and they are still tecnacly puppys still.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have a Pom, he was neutered without issue at around 8 months. At 6 he was still too small, but they really do mature quickly (puppyhood came and went in a flash) but my Pom can be quite dominant, I don't know if this is something all Poms are prone to, but I personally wouldn't wait that long to neuter for fear of escalating it. I neutered my Corgi between 1-2 years, and his personality changed significantly. It made me wish I'd done it a lot sooner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts