German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sasha just turned 10 mths. We always crate her when we leave the house. Crate training was the greatest idea ever; she was house broken in under 2 weeks and never has an accident in the house or in her crate when we are away.

We started leaving her out at night when she was about 5 mths old. She usually sleeps on the bed with us, on the floor or in her crate. She doesn't get into anything at night and wakes us up in the morning to let her out.

I was thinking about starting to leave her out when we're at work, but I'm not sure she is ready for that. She isn't a destructive pup; she chewed the bottom of the door frame once, other than that she has only destroyed her toys. We tried just gating her in the kitchen back when she was about 4 mths (she could walk around, and if she messed in the house it would be on tile), that lasted 3 days ... she jumped the gate, destroyed the garbage, and had explosive diarrhea in the computer room (we had to tear out the carpet...).

A mth and a half ago I left her out when I went out for supper with my friend... she had decided to dine on some brand new blu-rays. I guess it's sort of my fault because I left them on the coffee table and the cat probably pushed them onto the floor. She only seems to destroy things when she's home alone...

Should I try leaving her in the kitchen again? Or should I give her free roam of the house for small periods of time at first (like when I go to the grocery store)? Or have other members here had better luck just waiting until the dog is older?

Thanks!

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Nt ready yet, IMO, she seems to have a habit of finding things to destroy....I'd still crate her.
If you do decide to keep her out, put the garbage where she can't get to it. My dogs were proven thru small outings, but I didn't set them up to fail either.
They will now and then go into the kids bedrooms for "treats" and my kids know better than to leave anything out that the dogs may get into. But the garbage is in the cabinet under the sink. I use small bags, cause I like to change it often.

Anything with your scent on it will be tempting, so keep that in mind when it comes to chewing. Older may not cure that. Some dogs are just not reliable un-crated.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts