German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have long wanted to have a pair of german shepherds, a male and female, preferably.

I recently got my male puppy, Beorn, and he's 4 months old and is happy and growing. But I'm wondering what would be a good time to welcome a second friend for him and me. I've read that raising 2 puppies at once is a bad idea, and judging from this puppy, I think that's good advice.

So, when is a good age for my pup to bring a new puppy into the home?

This is slightly off topic, but I am planning on keeping my male pup intact, unless his behavior becomes unacceptable. And I'd prefer to fix the female pup, because isolating her and cleaning up after her during her period is a bit of a pain. When is a good time to fix a female?

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Most recommend about a two year gap, and I think it's a good start. I like the first dog to be mature with a solid obedience foundation before adding another. Also, I really don't want to deal with two seniors very close in age financially and the heart aches with health issues can be a burden even with just one dog.

As long as one of the two is fixed it doesn't really matter who you pick. Some say wait a minumum of one year, some say do it right at 6 months. Weigh the options, talk to your vet and breeder, and pick what feels right to you.

·
Registered
10,481 Posts
Two years apart gives you still two seniors at the same time. I am going through this with my two old dogs (2 years apart in age). It was awesome when they all were healthy and fit and the fun was endless. Now they are 12 and 10 and still well bonded in their old days and old ways so in a way it is good that they are old together. WD however does not fit in that well for them. For us it would be great to add another GSD next year when he will be two years old so he can focus on a pup instead of annoying the seniors. But that plan is pushing the limits at home.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Don't hurry.

I love having two - about 15 months apart in age, but dread the thought of losing them at the same time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had 2 females 2 years apart (same parents) That seems like a good time to bring in a new puppy. They got along great for two girls together. Unfortunately, you will have to deal with 2 aging dogs together. I lost the younger of the 2 Maggie, last summer and now the older one Molly is 12. Now we have Howie, 7 months and he's a little terror.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts