German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually get my second dog when my older dog is around 10.... it’s just how happens.

my current (and first) GSD is just over 6 years old, I always thought I’d get another dog when she was between 2-4 years old but life happens. With the COVID situation, I’m on a rotation and a shorter schedule... so it seems to be the right time to introduce a puppy to our lives. I do have parents that take care of the current dog during the day anyways. They enjoy the companionship on their daily walks.

The one thing I’m having a hard time with is I’m wondering if it would change the relationship I have with my current GSD. We have a good bond and she’s pretty easy going for the most part. I admit I also feel spoiled to have an older GSD and no more puppy nonsense. I haven’t forgotten the puppy stage with my last GSD 😂 But I am prepared for it and ready.

Its funny how I’ve been waiting for the right time and yet when it is here, I’m a little apprehensive because I’m more concerned about the relationship I have with my girl, Never had this issue or worry with my last two dogs... they weren’t exactly the most loyal dogs on the planet (golden retrievers)

did you get a second dog and regret it? Did it change the relationship with your first dog? If you had to do it over again, what would you do?

·
Registered
226 Posts
We've always had 2-3 dogs and bonding has never been an issue. Put in the 1:1 time/training with the pup and the bond happens. I would recommend a male if you want to make life easier because you have a female already. Lots of homes have 2 females, but I've anecdotally found and in conversations with others that 2 females tolerate each other less than 2 males.

You will find it much easier to train your pup having an older well behaved female. My females have modeled good behaviors and were much more corrective to the puppy or young foster dogs than my males. I remember when one of the puppies sneaked on the couch (husband not paying attention) and I walked in with Corie. I told the pup to get off the couch and then she rushed over "translated" into dog bark and pulled him off by the scruff and then barked some more right in his face. I've also had Storm multiple times correct Harley when she was a puppy with barking, using her head/paw/mouth or rolling/pinning when Harley jumped or nipped at my kids or jumped on kids visiting. My males were more tolerate or ignored the behaviors unless the pups nipped them hard or approached them when they had a high value toy and then correction was swift and direct.

·
Registered
99 Posts
That makes 3 of us that have 6 year olds and a puppy. My male is almost 6 (June) and my pup is almost 6 months now. We got him just pre-COVID and it was the best thing we ever did. My older dog wasn't big on him at first as the pup can be a real pest at times, nipping at him and trying to play all the time. But we still have the living/dining room boarded off from the pup so the old boy can jump in there when he wants to get away occasionally.

They have moved on to be great friends, we have to keep them from playing too much in the house, outside they run and play like great idiots, lots of fun. I agree with what the other poster said, training is much easier in some respects as the old buy has terrific recall so "come" was super easily learned.

I never ever trained with treats before but the little guy is food motivated. Only issue is any command to the pup and the old guy thinks I'm telling him lol

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
It took about 5 weeks before I trusted them together. I took very small steps in the intros. It was clear that she didn't ask for an intruder. Pup (male Eng. Shepherd) is now 4 months old and they are great together.
Anecdote: this morning I called the pup from another room. Deja left me and went to look for him when I asked her where he was. She came back, not with the pup, but with the sock he had stolen and she handed it to me. The beauty of having a mature dog as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts