German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have seen an adoption GSD at one of the families but, she hasnt been vaccinated over 5 years when is it needed? She is very healthy.

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
Deja has had her only Parvo and Distemper when she was a young pup. She is 6 years old and her titers are still strong. Same for Rabies, her last one was her booster when she was 1.5 years old.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I would re-vaccinate for rabies and DA2PP. It won't hurt her, and the immunization boost may protect her. Without titer testing (which is fairly expensive and may not be available in all parts of the world), a low-cost vaccine booster is the safest course.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would re-vaccinate for rabies and DA2PP. It won't hurt her, and the immunization boost may protect her. Without titer testing (which is fairly expensive and may not be available in all parts of the world), a low-cost vaccine booster is the safest course.
I was thinking the same.

·
Registered
31,145 Posts
AAHA guidelines read that the distemper/parvo are good for up to 5 years. The current guidelines read "3 years or more". If she hasn't been vaccinated in 5 years, I would either revaccinate her (and feel perfectly safe that it's not overvaccinating) or titer her. My vet stops vaccinating at about 7 years if they've been vaccinated regularly prior to that.

Her rabies must be done per your laws. I don't play with rabies. That's a death sentence. So I do it every 3 years per our laws.

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
You can check with your county if they accept rabies titers. Deja's have been strong. As soon as they will go down (I titer her every year), she will be re-vaccinated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts