German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
They don't need baths too often. If you bathed him at 8 wks he's good for 6 months, unless he gets into something nasty. Most dirt will just dry up and fall off. If you bathe them too frequently it can dry out their skin and fur and cause skin issues.

·
Read Only
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They don't need baths too often. If you bathed him at 8 wks he's good for 6 months, unless he gets into something nasty. Most dirt will just dry up and fall off. If you bathe them too frequently it can dry out their skin and fur and cause skin issues.
he is stinky now and sometimes he even potty in crate, so he is little dirty now!
should i bath him with shampoo now or should i soak cotton cloth in warm water and wipe him up

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
he is stinky now and sometimes he even potty in crate, so he is little dirty now!
should i bath him with shampoo now or should i soak cotton cloth in warm water and wipe him up
If he gets dirty just wipe him off. If he potties in his crate you need to scrub the crate and make sure to take him out more often. Letting him go potty in his crate will become a habit that is hard to break so don't let him do that.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
I would bathe a puppy that stinks, especially if it has urinated on itself or been in feces inside of a crate. How often you can bathe depends on what you bathe them with. If it lives inside and sleeps with you, you don't want that in your sleeping area.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Agreed with Magwart. But ideally GSDs don't need to be bathed often. Some people bathe their GSDs only twice a year and that's considered normal

·
Registered
538 Posts
You should never let the puppy go to the bathroom in the crate. It is your responsibility to get him outside often enough that that doesn't happen, so never scold him for this. It's not his fault, it's yours. Puppies can't control themselves. It's up to you to make sure he has no accidents.

That means taking him outside after he wakes up, every single time; after he eats, every single time; after he plays in the house, every single time; and at least every hour, ever single time during the day. It also means getting up in the middle of the night to take him out. It's a full time job, or more, on your part, but it will pay off if you are diligent.

You never want to develop a habit of his going in the crate. That will be much more difficult to overcome down the road.

Good luck with him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts