German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In starting to search for the right breeder I'm wondering when is the right time to ask about price? I'm looking far and wide so most of these conversations will be by phone.

I worry if I ask too early it will seem like I'm just looking for a bargain. On the other hand if I have a long chat about what kind of puppy I am looking for. what sort of activities I will be doing with the dog, my background with dogs, etc and then learn the price is $5000 then I feel like I have wasted everyone's time. Oddly most breeder websites do not mention price, even in a range.

If it helps I'm looking for a working line dog and I think $1500 to $2000 is a reasonable price--at least that is what research has shown.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Most of the breeders I have contacted have no problem being upfront about their cost via e-mail or phone. Especially if you're requesting shipping. Your price range is definitely reasonable, and you should have no problem finding what you're looking for in that range.

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
866 Posts
I asked for price in the initial contacts. Price is important unless you're wealthy...and I'm sure most breeders understand this.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Not sure where in Colorado you're looking, but I know of several breeders in northern Colorado that charge much more than that. And the worst part, IMHO, is that they don't title their dogs at all...work or show. They mostly import titled dogs from Europe and market their puppies off of parents and grandparents titles. Puppy prices go from 3,700 to as much as 5,500...with minimal health testing!

So, in the interest of not wasting anyone's time, if they don't list clear prices online, pricing would be one of my first questions!

Breeders I've worked with in the past had a single price for every puppy in a litter, sometimes a touch higher for the "pick" of a litter, but no range based on gender or color or anything like that. Pricing tells you a lot about the breeder you're working with...ask!

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Premium Member
11,401 Posts
I think right now WL pups run $1500 - 2500 - and in that range will be breeders just starting out to breeders who have proven they are breeding workable dogs....should be parents with health testing and titles - IPO or other certifications/AKC work depending on location and availability of training...I know of a breeder with a titled HOT female, health tested who has just bred to my titled, koered, health tested (HD, ED, LUW, DM) male and she is at the lower end of the range because she is just starting out....and already has 2/3 people on the litter for males. $3500 is way above the norm for a WL puppy and some of those breeders are very very commercial and selling imported puppies for a huge markup.

Lee

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
I have never had a problem with potential buyers asking price in their initial contact.

$2000 +- seems to be the average price for WL pups now even when the parents aren't titled.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I ask pretty early in the conversation. It's not topic #1, but in the interest of not wasting folks time, it's a good idea to see if you're in the same ball park.

·
Registered
11,405 Posts
First I do research on breeders I am interested in. Initial contact by phone to get a feel for the breeder. I asked the price after I got seriously interested in their dogs, later in the first conversation.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I usually initiate my first conversation over email. I research a lot and am very interested in a breeder by the time I make that step. I'll write an introductory paragraph about what I have to offer a puppy, what I'm looking for, why I'm interested in their dogs, and ask if they think our family might be a good fit. I have found that if a breeder has an upcoming litter that they think might be a good match, usually they volunteer the price in their response, and I don't even have to ask. I then ask for a good time to call so we can get a feel for each other, and I arrange for a visit to put down a deposit if that is possible. (If a breeder I'm strongly interested in doesn't answer an email within 24-48 hours, I will follow up with a phone call in case they prefer an initial phone conversation).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts