German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean not necessarily right now, but in the future. Some may know of my past history with Victor and that he had to be euthanized due to his severe people aggression. My husband and I are thinking of adding to our clan, but we are worried about Jamie becoming obsessed with the new dog/puppy like she was with Victor. She only was obsessed with him and only him. I separated them for training and special one on one time, but it did not matter to Jamie her whole life was Victor. She had to know where he was at all times. She stalked him constantly-running at his sides, biting on him. She did not fetch or play ball with us all she wanted to do was bite on him. Training was a big challenge with her because she was constantly distracted looking for him. I had to tether her to me to keep her off of him. She now being the only shepherd has bonded to us fully and focused on us. She is excellent with her commands, she fetches and she plays with us now.

We were considering a small breed, but we would love to add another GSD or large breed. We are just wondering what everyone's point of view would be on this subject. We are just worried she will want to be with the new addition more than us like she was with Victor. We don't want her to lose her focus.

So add or don't add? Small breed? If we do add no large breeds especially another shepherd while we have Jamie? She is fine with smaller breeds and Lola which is a mastiff(large breed). She just seemed to be obsessed with Victor. We are not sure if it was because he was a GSD or what? Is it possible she was obsessed with because he was a GSD? Advice and opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

·
5,627 Posts
I forget. Where they close in age and was Jamie a puppy when you she was introduced to Victor?

My personal belief is that you should only add another dog (especially a puppy) once your current dog(s) is perfect (or near perfect) training wise. I would also suggest keeping a puppy separate from Jamie more than not so that they don't bond too closely to each other.

Given that Jamie was so closely bonded with Victor and she is still so young, I would give it more time before adding another dog. If she were my dog, I would wait 6-12 months before adding another dog and doing so many different training things to help improve our bond.

Kaiser was very closely bonded with the 10yr old female he was surrendered with (believed to be his mother) and is very interested in Raven as a result. He will often try to choose her attention over mine but not enough that it is a problem. It also helps that Raven is so bonded to me that she prefers me over Kaiser so she doesn't feed into his preference of her. I take both to separate training classes, take them on separate outings and walk them separately a few times a week to help maintain and work on our bonds apart from each other (could I use the word separately more in that sentence?!).

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I would wait until Jamie Lee is a little older. Let her grow up and mature a little before bringing in another puppy. Work on bonding and training with her right now.

I would wait to add another puppy until she is 1.5-2 years old.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forget. Where they close in age and was Jamie a puppy when you she was introduced to Victor?

My personal belief is that you should only add another dog (especially a puppy) once your current dog(s) is perfect (or near perfect) training wise. I would also suggest keeping a puppy separate from Jamie more than not so that they don't bond too closely to each other.

Given that Jamie was so closely bonded with Victor and she is still so young, I would give it more time before adding another dog. If she were my dog, I would wait 6-12 months before adding another dog and doing so many different training things to help improve our bond.

Kaiser was very closely bonded with the 10yr old female he was surrendered with (believed to be his mother) and is very interested in Raven as a result. He will often try to choose her attention over mine but not enough that it is a problem. It also helps that Raven is so bonded to me that she prefers me over Kaiser so she doesn't feed into his preference of her. I take both to separate training classes, take them on separate outings and walk them separately a few times a week to help maintain and work on our bonds apart from each other (could I use the word separately more in that sentence?!).

Victor was about 17-18 mths. when I brought Jamie in. Jamie was 9 wks. old when I brought her home. For the first two months she really didn't have much to do with him.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I would wait until Jamie Lee is a little older. Let her grow up and mature a little before bringing in another puppy. Work on bonding and training with her right now.

I would wait to add another puppy until she is 1.5-2 years old.
That what I was thinking was to wait. We are just scared she is going to become obsessed if we do add another GSD. We are wanting to add another small breed-not really sure. Is it possible we might be able to add another shepherd when she is 2 w/o her becoming obsessed?

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
That what I was thinking was to wait. We are just scared she is going to become obsessed if we do add another GSD. We are wanting to add another small breed-not really sure. Is it possible we might be able to add another shepherd when she is 2 w/o her becoming obsessed?
Yes. She is a puppy right now, she's immature and she wants to play.

Once she is older and more mature she should calm down a bit.

Enjoy her and bond with her. Do everything you can to make a strong bond. Train and socialize her.

When you are happy with how she is trained and happy with how your bond is and she is a bit older then it would be a great time to bring in a puppy. :)

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about a small breed dog(not necessarily a puppy) and then waiting until Jamie is 1.5-2 to add another larger breed?

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
What about a small breed dog(not necessarily a puppy) and then waiting until Jamie is 1.5-2 to add another larger breed?
This is JMO and I do not mean to sound rude.

I think that you should wait to add another dog wether it is small or large.

Jamie Lee is a puppy and she deserves ALL of your attention. She needs to be trained. She needs to form a strong bond with you. She needs to be a puppy.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I know that it is hard to wait. Trust me, I do understand.

Sinister was 17 months old when I brought Rogue home and then my attention was split between the 2 of them and Sinister wasn't exactly where I wanted him in his training. He was still a puppy, he deserved all of my time and attention at that point. Biff moved in a couple of months later and then his time was split 3 ways. Now that both Rogue and Biff are no longer here it is nice to just have him be an only dog again. All of my time and attention is on him. We work on our training everyday. He is very close to perfect for me. I want a puppy SOOOOO bad right now! I have major puppy fever, but Sin isn't where I want him to be with his training, he is still a pup and still immature. He needs more time to just be an only dog, he needs more alone time with me and he needs more work.

I am getting a puppy next summer/fall, Sinister will be 3.5 years old. He should be absolutely perfect at that time. :)

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
We got our two dogs, each as puppies about 8 months apart. (too lazy to look it up) Our male is 6 months older than our female. There's never been a problem with them bonding to each other rather than us, and they get along fine. Should probably add that I'm home all day with the dogs, I know that can make a difference.

I'm more nervous about introducing a puppy to adult dogs than to another young one. Right now we have an established "pack" for lack of a better word. I'm not sure what will happen when we bring in a third dog now that these guys are older.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is JMO and I do not mean to sound rude.

I think that you should wait to add another dog wether it is small or large.

Jamie Lee is a puppy and she deserves ALL of your attention. She needs to be trained. She needs to form a strong bond with you. She needs to be a puppy.
No, you are not being rude. It is the truth. Jamie is young and yes, she does deserve all the attention.

I guess I am just having puppy/new dog fever.:crazy:

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
No, you are not being rude. It is the truth. Jamie is young and yes, she does deserve all the attention.

I guess I am just having puppy/new dog fever.:crazy:
I hear you! :cry:

I cannot wait for little Malice to come home and she doesn't even exist yet! :wild:

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
I like my dogs to be pretty much push button before I bring another pup home. That means I like my dogs about 5 years apart in age. I would wait.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
We really broke the rules when it came to adding dogs to our household.

We got Luna (GSD) as a 10 week old puppy from the shelter. When she was 7 months old, we added Apollo (Rottweiler) from a rescue. We intended on (sort of) sticking with the "rules" and getting an older Rottie, but Apollo was perfect for us, despite his young age (approximately one year old). It worked for us, but it took a lot of dedication, since Apollo had very little training. Luna was pretty solid on many of her commands but she did pick up some bad habits from Apollo (mostly jumping up). By being diligent, we were able to catch it quick and after only a short while, she gave up on the jumping. We had both dogs enrolled in training classes, too.

It helped A LOT that we have three adults in the household: two actively involved in training (hubby and I) and one that is very helpful with care and willing to go along with training methods (my brother).

Just a few months later, when Luna had just turned a year and Apollo was approximately 1.5 years old, we added a third dog, Nova (3 year old GSD). Nova has temperament issues (mostly nervousness/anxiety) but it still worked. Our other two dogs had enough of a solid foundation to be a help with Nova in teaching him to relax. It could've gone the other way, however, with Nova affecting the other two in a negative fashion. We did have the assistance of a behavioral trainer, however... she was the one who placed Nova with us after pulling him from a shelter.

Luna & Nova have a strong bond and I do believe it is because they are both GSDs. They just have a special kinship. However, I believe Luna had enough bonding time with us that she listens to us, too, and wants to be with her people as well as her doggie brothers.

Keep in mind that any new dog brought into the household will likely teach your other dog bad habits (and some good ones, too). We had ALMOST gotten control of Luna's counter surfing habit when we brought in Nova, a champion counter surfer. Now, we have two champion counter surfers. LOL! We had Apollo trained to the point where (most of the time) he would wait patiently for us to put his collar on for walks, but since Nova is very anxious/impatient when it comes time to get out the collars and leashes, Apollo reverted back to being impatient with the process, too.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I agree with all the advice, and wanted to add a couple of things to ponder:)

I have lost two sets of dogs because they were close in age, within 6 months of each other..Bad enough to lose one, but to lose another was heartbreaking, and then to have to repeat that AGAIN was devastating:((

Right now I have two aussies that are a year apart, and I'm dreading the same scenerio above for a third time:((

Masi is 2.5 and tho I am just DYING to get another male, I am forcing myself to wait until she is atleast 4, (unless of course some circumstance crops up:)

I honestly think it would be REALLY hard, if not impossible for me TO wait, if I only had Masi..in fact I know I wouldn't. I like having multiples not only for me, but for the other dog as well.

Do you have any friends with dogs that Jamie gets along with?? I would definately get together not only for the play dates, but for the socializing with another dog for her as well..

Just wanted to throw those thoughts out to ponder:)

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you everyone for your advice as bad as I want a puppy/new dog I kinda already knew it was a bad idea. It is so hard this time of the yr. and with all the new puppies on this forum. We have decided to just keep it at 3 dogs, but I have to admit I will not be able to resist still looking at them.

Diane, you are so right when you get them so close together in age you do tend to lose a lot all in one yr/at one time. This is what has happened to us for the past couple yrs. now. We have never had this low number of dogs and I must admit it is kinda nice. Everyone is able to get lots of attention I have less animals to divide my time with. The lower dog food bill is nice too.

So I will just have to live vicariously through everyone else here and just enjoy their puppies.lol:D

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Thank you everyone for your advice as bad as I want a puppy/new dog I kinda already knew it was a bad idea. It is so hard this time of the yr. and with all the new puppies on this forum. We have decided to just keep it at 3 dogs, but I have to admit I will not be able to resist still looking at them.

Diane, you are so right when you get them so close together in age you do tend to lose a lot all in one yr/at one time. This is what has happened to us for the past couple yrs. now. We have never had this low number of dogs and I must admit it is kinda nice. Everyone is able to get lots of attention I have less animals to divide my time with. The lower dog food bill is nice too.

So I will just have to live vicariously through everyone else here and just enjoy their puppies.lol:D
Who knows, maybe you will be ready to get a puppy next year and then we would be able to compare heights and weights between our puppies and share stories and training methods! :)

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I haven't had 3 dogs in gosh, over 20 years, always had 4 and mostly LARGE dogs. The last two years with only 3, two being smaller has been weird:)

I miss the dogs I've lost, but your right, even just down by one, I have more time to devote to the ones I have, less vet bills , less food bills. Some days it still feels like something is missing but I am enjoying the dogs I have and concentrate on them:)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Ditto on all the comments.
I have 4 and it is hard because my GSD Meika is fixated on all the other dogs much like yours was with Victor.
I kept thinking she would relax as she got older, but she is still "micromanaging" the other dogs. With a dog like that, it is better to focus on the training and master the dog first. I wish I knew what I have learned over the past few years. LOL

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I do understand how you feel about seeing all the adorable puppies on this site and getting puppy fever! My husband keeps having to talk me down, lol, but we have a 2 dog rule... and as others said above I agree that spacing them out by a few years is best. Just my opinion, based on our lifestyle of course. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts