German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read all kinds of different training methods for loose leash walking, and they all say the same thing: Stop moving when the dog pulls on the leash! However, I am confused as to when to actually stop? I.e. should I, 1: stop when my dog walks ahead of me, or, 2: let her walk ahead and only stop when she pulls on the leash? If I was to do the first option, she would not be pulling on the leash, but instead just be moving ahead of me, but the second option would have her walking in front of me until she finally reaches the end of the leash? Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
6,301 Posts
It's up to you.I let my dogs walk ahead if they choose to.If I need them to be close they have a heel command.They enjoy plodding along at my human pace much more if they can sniff around a bit:)

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I do this too, dog is free to sniff and walk wherever as long as she doesn't pull on the leash...for that I use a slow down command if/when she pulls. If I want a heel, I use that command, then no sniffing and no getting out of the proper position for heel.

I will say that what makes this difficult is that you walk your dog all the time, and if you're like me, you just want the ***** Dog to get with the program so the walk is enjoyable LOL! IME it can't be accomplished that way...or at least not very quickly. To actually train these behaviors you have to forget any agenda and consider your walks a training session - i.e. no set distance or specific time frame. It's not an exercise routine, it's training until the dog gets it. I always stop for a full 2-3 minutes every time the dog is not getting it right, no additional commands, nothing verbal period. Dog doesn't heel correctly, stop, calmly move the dog back into position, then stand still for another couple minutes before starting on. It is effective!

·
Registered
646 Posts
I always stop for a full 2-3 minutes every time the dog is not getting it right, no additional commands, nothing verbal period. Dog doesn't heel correctly, stop, calmly move the dog back into position, then stand still for another couple minutes before starting on. It is effective!
Wow, that's extreme! I might have to try that

My method has been if she pulls, then I stop. I give a second for her to come back, and if she doesn't, then she gets pulled back to me, wait for a second, then go. I need to work on this more

·
Super Moderator
4,743 Posts
I do this too, dog is free to sniff and walk wherever as long as she doesn't pull on the leash...for that I use a slow down command if/when she pulls. If I want a heel, I use that command, then no sniffing and no getting out of the proper position for heel.

I will say that what makes this difficult is that you walk your dog all the time, and if you're like me, you just want the ***** Dog to get with the program so the walk is enjoyable LOL! IME it can't be accomplished that way...or at least not very quickly. To actually train these behaviors you have to forget any agenda and consider your walks a training session - i.e. no set distance or specific time frame. It's not an exercise routine, it's training until the dog gets it. I always stop for a full 2-3 minutes every time the dog is not getting it right, no additional commands, nothing verbal period. Dog doesn't heel correctly, stop, calmly move the dog back into position, then stand still for another couple minutes before starting on. It is effective!

This is the proper way to do it. I was not patient enough. I needed to take a good brisk walk myself as well as the dog so my boy learned that sometimes he can get away with pulling...for a little while. He knows I have limits and will test it at times. If he pulls too much he gets a "hey!" and we stop and he looks up...sorry boss. This has come from miles and miles of walks.

At times I get the opposite problem...delicious smells that my dog doesn't want to leave. For those I either walk up against his head gently shoving his nose away from the scent with my legs...or I give a number of short quick tugs with the leash...kind of like someone tapping you on the shoulder over and over again...hey hey hey hey hey.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts