German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a book about training and raising a german shepher dog by Dan Rice and it gives you all your need to know on how to train but I dont think it tell you when to start is there an age I should start or just whenever I bring him home start I have read to start training the second he walks in the front door so I was just wondering about that and I just want to be prepared and ready for when I bring my new puppy home in July! :)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
The minute you have your puppy, you are training him or her whether you realize it or not. Potty training is training. It's never too early to begin training. My pup came home to us at 8 weeks old and he turns 10 weeks on Monday. He knows sit, is learning to go into his crate on command (though still with a little fight) and is learning to come when he's called. His breeder had already started crate training before he came to us.

Your puppy is in training from day one basically. The second you have him, he's training as in learning about you and your routines and such.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I started training the day we brought him home.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was kinda thinking to start trianing right away but I just wanted to make sure and get other people's opinions. Thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
I couldn't start formal training until my pup was 16 weeks old and had his rabies vaccination. Prior to his training I didn't overwhelm him with commands or obedience. I focused on engagement. Making your pup want to play with you is more important then anything right now. If he doesn't associate you with fun and playing you will have a hard time getting him to focus when it comes to obedience. Engagement is key when they are young.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts