German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read many different things when in regards to both male and female GSDs getting neutered and spayed. I've read that some vets say get it soon as possible while others say you should wait some time before getting it done. I do have a male and female, siblings, both intacted currently. I don't want a mess up, but at the same time, I don't want to hinder any of them developmental wise. They both have crates too so if need be, I can separate them and make sure they are not along together if waiting to get fixed is the better option. Opinions please!

I've always planned on fixing my female, however, my fiancee doesn't wish to get the male fixed if it isn't necessary.

·
Registered
31,158 Posts
I would wait until after Luna's first heat. And Wyatt wait as long as you can. Once Luna is spayed, it's not an emergency to get Wyatt neutered. 2 years seems to be the optimal minimum age.

·
Super Moderator
6,725 Posts
Also be aware that "keeping separate" most often will include being kept apart even during times that they are supervised, does not mean one crated and one loose when unsupervised (dogs can breed thru crates), and you should prepare for a month of this arrangement.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've read many different things when in regards to both male and female GSDs getting neutered and spayed. I've read that some vets say get it soon as possible while others say you should wait some time before getting it done. I do have a male and female, siblings, both intacted currently. I don't want a mess up, but at the same time, I don't want to hinder any of them developmental wise. They both have crates too so if need be, I can separate them and make sure they are not along together if waiting to get fixed is the better option. Opinions please!

I've always planned on fixing my female, however, my fiancee doesn't wish to get the male fixed if it isn't necessary.
Both our breeder and vet cited studies showing that waiting until 12-14 months when the growth plates have closed decreases the likelihood of joint problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts