German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I always find it a little funny.. not that I have a problem with dedicating rescue to one breed, but because when a dog has no papers, who are you to say it is pure bred, and how can you be sure?

I mean, when it comes to GSDs, they could be a mix of many breeds and still look 'pure'. Mixes with:
Malinois
Tervuren
Shiloh Shepherd
King Shepherd
Other Northern breeds (I.E Husky, Malamute, Elk Hound etc.)
And dogs who might have a Husky grandsire, but the grandam, sire/dam were both pure GSD can look like a GSD, but most certainly is not.

Even a shepherd/collie can look like a pure shepherd as a pup.

Edited by Admin. See below. Jean

Like I have done before, seen litters of puppies where one or two could so easily be passed as a GSD, but the rest are odd-colored mutts... however, if I wanted, I could have posted those two pups here because they had the general GSD look and colors, their ears were even starting to stand, but they were 1/4 cattle dog.

Jaeger, my GSD with AKC papers.. I do not even feel SURE he's pure because his blood is only tracked a few Gens back.

Just me sharing my random thoughts for the day :D No real questions or debate, I just feel it's silly that if my King Shepherd looks GSD enough, he is considered pure by the rescue section. And it always bugs me that I don't see people here say "You can never tell for sure without papers."

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Our rescue does GSDs and high-GSD mixes. If it looks Shepherdy enough that someone in the market to adopt a GSD will adopt it, it's in.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
My shelter has the volunteers and staff read up on all the breeds so when a dog comes in we will be able to post the right breed and give people information in case they are interested in a certain dog we will be able to tell them what they are getting into.

Recently there was a 3 month old Sable German Shepherd at my shelter. He was a light Sable one, but everything about him screamed GSD. At most shelters or rescues(all breed ones) he would have been listed as a a "GSD/Husky Mix" or "GSD Mix".My shelter is a all breed rescue, but they are pretty darn accurate when it comes to guessing breeds, even guessing what a dog's mix is.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well you can't ever really be sure without papers, but isn't that a given?
:)
Yep. That's why I think it's odd that here and other sites, their rescue sections say "Pure Bred *breed*'s ONLY".
With rescues, you can never be SURE they are PURE BRED unless they came with papers, so that little rule just makes little sense.. Maybe "Dogs who look like pure *breed*'s ONLY."

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
My shelter has the volunteers and staff read up on all the breeds so when a dog comes in we will be able to post the right breed and give people information in case they are interested in a certain dog we will be able to tell them what they are getting into.

Recently there was a 3 month old Sable German Shepherd at my shelter. He was a light Sable one, but everything about him screamed GSD. At most shelters or rescues(all breed ones) he would have been listed as a a "GSD/Husky Mix" or "GSD Mix".My shelter is a all breed rescue, but they are pretty darn accurate when it comes to guessing breeds, even guessing what a dog's mix is.
The irony here is that you really have no idea how accurate they are given that they are mixes and in a shelter with no birth record or parents present. They can think they are accurate as long as the day is, but that "sable shepherd" very well could be a GSD/husky mix, or not even a GSD mix at all.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
The irony here is that you really have no idea how accurate they are given that they are mixes and in a shelter with no birth record or parents present. They can think they are accurate as long as the day is, but that "sable shepherd" very well could be a GSD/husky mix, or not even a GSD mix at all.
He was a GSD, I even looked up Light sable GSDs and he looked just like them. Also, some of the dogs that come in do come with papers.

There are those dogs that are indeed purebred GSDs such as these:
Westside German Shepherd Rescue of Los Angeles

The puppy at my shelter had the same coloring as this one:

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He was a GSD, I even looked up Light sable GSDs and he looked just like them. Also, some of the dogs that come in do come with papers.
That's what I mean, you can go off of looks all day - bloodlines can't be seen. My dog, Sparkles, could SO easily be shown in a group of Lhasa Apso's, but she is a Pomeranian/Shih-Tzu mix.

Looks can give you an idea, but you can be completely wrong.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Nothing about him gave off Husky. Before him was a 8 months old GSD Mix who I can tell had Husking in her. She had the husky eyes and markings.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Jessie I think you are missing the point of the thread.....
No I am actually not. I ma not saying every dog that comes into a shelter that has no papres is indeed a purebred, but sometimes they can be a purebred even without papers.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No I am actually not. I ma not saying every dog that comes into a shelter that has no papres is indeed a purebred, but sometimes they can be a purebred even without papers.
Well yes, of course pure animals end up in shelters - but what might look 100% german shepherd can very well be a high-content mix. I've seen a husky/wolf/GSD mix that look exactly like a GSD with pointier ears and blue eyes.. if not for those two characteristics he would have looked like a poorly bred BGSD..

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Well yes, of course pure animals end up in shelters - but what might look 100% german shepherd can very well be a high-content mix. I've seen a husky/wolf/GSD mix that look exactly like a GSD with pointier ears and blue eyes.. if not for those two characteristics he would have looked like a poorly bred BGSD..
I am a member of another GSD board and another member posted something about her uncle breeding GSDs with blue and green eyes. Of course he was breeding other breeds to create the "Ultimate Guard Dog" or something like that. So those were probably mutts.

Yep, being a poorly bred dog can make a purebred one look like a mix.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Well, I think the only reason websites like this say "purebreds only" is because it is a GSD board and if they allowed, say, what appears to be PB labs, poodles, rotties, or any other mix it would simply become out of control and there would be a thousand posts a week. So only dogs that APPEAR to be PB are allowed.

As far as breed rescues...maybe they are out there, but I don't know any that exclusively do one breed and will never take another dog. I personally love the idea of breed rescues because every breed has very different personalities and characteristics and I think it's great that you have a group of people who have an expertise and genuine love for a certain "type" of dog. Benefits everyone around.

As far as you "cannot tell for sure without papers"...well, then there would be virtually no rescue section at all. I guess it's all about balance.

Only allowing papered dogs would leave too many out in the cold. Allowing any mixes in would make it overwhelming and create too much of an influx.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Even with papers you can't always be sure ;)
Yep.
And people are known to 'hang' papers... A certain kennel claiming to produce XXL 'pitbulls' does this, they used a PRESA CANARIO stud but listed one of their males as the sire.. Ridiculous..

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I think the only reason websites like this say "purebreds only" is because it is a GSD board and if they allowed, say, what appears to be PB labs, poodles, rotties, or any other mix it would simply become out of control and there would be a thousand posts a week. So only dogs that APPEAR to be PB are allowed.

As far as breed rescues...maybe they are out there, but I don't know any that exclusively do one breed and will never take another dog. I personally love the idea of breed rescues because every breed has very different personalities and characteristics and I think it's great that you have a group of people who have an expertise and genuine love for a certain "type" of dog. Benefits everyone around.

As far as you "cannot tell for sure without papers"...well, then there would be virtually no rescue section at all. I guess it's all about balance.

Only allowing papered dogs would leave too many out in the cold. Allowing any mixes in would make it overwhelming and create too much of an influx.
I agree with a lot of what you said... However, the forum I moderate has many members, very active, and the rescue section is open to all breeds and even non-dog rescues... And it's very easily managed.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have breed rescues - I love the fact we do.. however I think it should be worded differently, 'pure-bred only'.. there is no way to tell if the dog is PURE.

It's like when someone posts a picture of their dog and asks if it looks pure, people say "Yeah, certainly a pure bred." because it has the typical color and conformation of a GSD... But who knows what it's grandparent or parent may have been.. I know a pit dog/BYB GSD mix, she looks (if I were to guess) like a chow mix. Very poofy, broad muzzle, purple splotching on the tongue, tight feet.. But I've seen both parents.

The whole thing is simply a pet peeve of mine... to call something you can't prove 'pure'.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes exactly, what would you like me to call Ginger? A mute because we dont have papers on her? I saw both her parents and the litter before taking her. She is "pure breed" in our eyes and is adorable. No one has ever asked if she is pure breed at all. We dont care what bloodlines she comes from either. From everything we have read and the research we have did she is a "pure shepherd", from the way she acts and her mannerisms. We also have a mini daschund wo papers. So she is a mute also? She is very much pure breed. You can tell "mutes" and pure breed apart by looking at their colors and body build. Not sure why a member has an avatar of a pit in the GSD forums and talking about pits anyways. Looks as if your promoting pits.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts