German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
This is my first forum so hello all :)
My husband and i got a 9 week German Shepherd over the weekend.
For two weeks our puppy will begin to get one on one basic training with a trainer:). When he comes home he will be crate trained, potty trained and know inside and outside. So obviously we all have to work, i work 9-4. If i take my puppy out to potty feed him and than walk about a mile or so and let him play for about half an hour or a little longer will he be ok in his Xl dog crate with snacks and toys until i get home about 4:30?

No rude comments pls. :)

Thanks for all help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will have to check into a dog walker. He will only be in his crate for a couple months until he is completly house broken from chewing and using the bathroom in the house, than he will be free to the whole house. :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Optimistic and premature to plan on that schedule, but hopefully it works out as intend. Dogs don't need free roam - as long as the time he spends with you is fruitful, he will be fine crated or restrained when you are not around. Allow free roam slowly, in small increments, and only when he is 100% reliable - will be best for his safety and your sanity ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only work monday-friday so the weekends i will be with him 24/7. :)
He will have 3 hours of attention before i go to work and all my attention as soon as i get home. Has anyone else worked a schedule like this before? How did it turn out with the dog?
Thanks.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
As long as there's a midday potty break I don't see it being a issue :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
He's very cute! Congrats!

My girl is 6 months now and I still have my mother-in-law come around noon and let her out to potty, walk around, etc. when I am at work. She is only alone from 8-3 two days a week, as I work from home the other three days and she's with me. I would never make her hold it all day until she's older and especially not at the age your dog is.

Also, it took my last GSD a year and a half to be able to have full freedom in the house with no crate and she wasn't a chewer. This dog I joke will be in the crate forever because she's a climber, jumper and loves to chew so there is no containing her if she sets her mind to something. Don't be so sure your dog will be ready in a few months to have full run of the house. It takes time to be able to trust them and is healthy for the dog in that he won't end up needing a surgery because he ate something he shouldn't.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again for all the feedback!! :)

Im thinking he will be a great dog and do just fine with all things :) (fingers crossed) lol
And as for the letting roam around the house i will prob wait until he is older :)

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Hopefully he will be fine when he matures a bit. My dog was TWELVE and still had to be contained .. actually at 13 I still contain him to my bedroom and don't give him free reign of the house. He was a major marker so had to be crated when left alone. Now, I don't give him free reign because I have a cat and while he would NEVER hurt the cat or chew anything, he would LOVE to be able to visit her food bowl (and litter area).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yep I have a crazy schedule and my dogs stay in their crate. They are fine. I have a water bottle in there for them. And let Karma the 8 wk old play till I go to bed. I've had many dogs and had to crate while I was at work. They did just fine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello all.
So my little guy is house broken at 13 weeks tomorrow, of course they still have there little pee accidents every now and then. The problem now is he wont stop peeing in his crate!! He will hold his poop but even after 15 and not drinking water he will pee. He has used the crate for a month. I have a XL dog crate but it has a divider so he doesnt have all the space. What else can i do?? :/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts