German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harley (3yo male, no history of health issues) threw up his breakfast yesterday. This morning he didn't eat, then just now threw up. Also found some vomit Thursday which I attributed to cat but could have been him I guess.

Otherwise is acting totally normal. Drinking fine. Playful, happy, no change in activity.

Being a holiday weekend, I'd have to take him emergency vet which would cost a fortune. Not that I won't spend money on my dogs but don't want to just to hear his tummy is upset or something.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
When in doubt I always go to the vet. For us the difference between the emergency vet and appointment vet is $30-$40, well worth my peace of mind.

If he's been throwing up since Thurs I'd be concerned. There may be something he trying to get up, an obstruction? How are the BMs? What is in the vomit?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When in doubt I always go to the vet. For us the difference between the emergency vet and appointment vet is $30-$40, well worth my peace of mind.

If he's been throwing up since Thurs I'd be concerned. There may be something he trying to get up, an obstruction? How are the BMs? What is in the vomit?
Bm totally normal. Vomit yesterday was all undigested food. That's how I know it was him to seeing it happen as no other animal gets that quantity of food. Today was all liquid. Brown. Not much odor. He didn't eat this morning

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I don't know if I'd classify this as an emergency, but I personally would not wait until Tues. Sounds like your dog did not intake food yesterday and will probably not today.
Whatever you decide I hope your boy recovers soon.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I had something unusual happen to Slider on May 15.

HIS VAGUE SYMPTOMS: In no particular order.
1. His nose felt a tad warm.
2. He refused to eat a baby carrot that I offered him from my salad.
3. He was slightly agitated ... lay down for a few minutes ... get up ... lay down for a few minutes get up ... etc etc etc
4. He vomited his breakfast.
5. He made a weird gaggy type sound twice.

WHAT DID I DO: I called my vet and told them I needed to make an appointment because I had a sick dog.

HIS DIAGNOSIS: He had stomach torsion ... no bloat ... just the torsion!!!

THE SOLUTION: Later that day he had emergency surgery up at the University of Florida!!! He's been feeling great ever since.

WHICH SYMPTOM WAS THE REASON I MADE THE EMERGENCY APPOINTMENT WITH THE VET? He turned up is nose at the carrot!!! Yep ... a baby carrot saved my dog's life. When one of the Hooligans refuses food I know they're very sick!!!

SLIDER WOULD HAVE DIED IF I HADN'T TAKEN HIM TO THE VET!!!

FWIW ... THERE WAS NO STOMACH DISTENTION, WHITE FOAM VOMITING, EXTREME AGITATION, OR UNUSUAL SPITTING UP that I usually associate with bloat/torsion. I was shocked when the vet showed me the x-ray.

I guess what I'm saying is that you really have to know your dog to determine when it's time to make an appointment with the vet!!!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
go to the vet..Brown liquid could be blood, Masi has been going thru a 'mystery illness' the past week, started with brown liquid vomit, it was blood..If I hadn't taken her in, she could be dead by now..

Or it could be nothing, but wouldn't you rather be safe than sorry? I hope it's nothing:)

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Let me just say this - emergency vets often get the bad rap of being way more expensive. To be honest, the most expensive clinic I ever worked in was general practice. All my emergency clinics, our exam fee was on average 30$ or more higher, however once you get past the exam fee then diagnostics and treatments fees are usually the exact same as your local vet (you can price match to find out for peace of mind in the future, find out what your regular vet charges for things like blood work, xrays, prescriptions, then see what the emergency vet charges).

As far as vomiting, a dog that has had a decreased appetite for a few days and is vomiting is concerning. Could be a number of things, gastroenteritis causing nausea, could be a foreign body, could be an abdominal mass! The abdominal mass is very unlikely, but just an example. you should see a vet. If anything they can give medications to prevent nausea and hopefully prevent dehydration/worsening of symptoms.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
We have only one emergency clinic in town. I don't balk at the price (it IS quite a bit more expensive), but rather the vet that we saw last time. I reallllly disliked him to the point that I hope I don't have any ill pets on the weekend. If he's the one in ... we won't be going.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I agree with Anubis, our ER clinic, isn't any more expensive than going to the vet, espec when it's an emergency.

Tho I haven't used it, I did take a friends dog in (pancreatic attack), meds, xrays, cost her around 300$ which would most likely have cost the same at the vet we use.

Masi was at my vets for 3 days (daytime only 7am-7pm) for 3 days on fluids /xrays/bloodwork/meds (lots of meds), cost was 785.00 I don't think that was to bad..and thank god my vets take payments..

I hope your dog is ok, my dislike for a vet would override my dogs emergency if I felt the vet was qualified.

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
If you have a microchip registered with Home Again and pay the $17 annual fee (which is OPTIONAL) for premium membership, you have 24/7 phone access to a board-certified vet for emergency consultations --- and advice on whether to go the e-vet for treatment.

I love this service -- and it's the reason I keep the premium service on Home Again, as I typically use it several times a year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts