German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! This is a question about Ovary Sparing Spays (OSS). So, for those who don’t know, I follow the natural rearing way which is basically feeding raw food, no to minimal vaccinations, no chemical flea/tick or heart worm prevention (brands like Nex Guard), and using holistic treatments to cure illnesses (no, that doesn’t mean we use magic crystals to cure lol). If you’d like to learn more, my favorite websites about natural rearing are Dogs Naturally Magazine.com and Natural Rearing Breeders Association.com.

Anyway, a lot of natural rearers don’t spay or neuter their dogs. Honestly, I don’t feel comfortable with an unaltered dog because I do things like taking my dogs running and hiking, and I just don’t want a female attracting males or a male searching for females. I don’t think I’m experienced enough around unaltered dogs and I most certainly don’t want to deal with heat cycles or keeping male dogs away. So, in conclusion I am not able to care for a dog like that. But, I can’t ignore all the health issues surrounding spaying and neutering.

A few days ago I found out about OSSs and I’m very intrigued. From what I understand, this prevents pregnancy yet keeps hormones. What I’m confused about is when can I have this procedure done on a dog. Do I have to wait 12 months or since it keeps the hormones, can I do it at 6 months. If anyone has any experience with having an OSS done on their dog or has any info, I would really like to hear about it. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
You can have it done really at any time - they have the hormones so it won't negatively impact growth and development..
I did my dog's OSS closer to 3 years and I wish I had done it a bit earlier because as an adult dog it took her longer to heal.

·
Registered
95 Posts
A female that undergoes an OSS still usually experiences effects of heat and may attract male dogs she just wont be able to get pregnant if mated since she no longer has a uterus. There is no age wait that I am aware of aside from surgeon preference.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
There are a ton of threads on this topic but since it's fresh for my dog I'll chime in. I had planned on doing an OSS with my dog next year as I thought it beneficial for her health to retain hormones. She is 3 and just had a cancerous mammary gland tumor removed last week along with her ovaries. To each their own but I will never let another bitch that isn't to be bred have more than 1-2 heat cycles prior to removing her ovaries. My vet performed an ovariectomy laparoscopically. OSS requires a larger incision than a traditional spay as the uterus has to be completely ligated from the cervix. I still believe there are health benefits to retaining hormones, cancer in a 3 year old, otherwise healthy dog outweighs them. And for what it's worth, I fed my dog raw food too now I feed cooked food.

Just want to add you'll have to manage your girl with an OSS as you would if she were intact. She may still want to tie during her cycle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh wow, I did not know that females could still attract males! I guess you learn something every day lol. I won’t be getting a new dog until next year, so I’m still in the planning stages and I’ll continue to read up about it. Thank you for all your responses!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Oh yeah, OSS is basically totally normal heats with no blood.

My OSS bitch is in heat right now and my male has been restless. If you don't like the idea or aren't confident in managing heats, OSS isn't much different and a full spay is probably better.

·
Registered
910 Posts
My girl had an OSS, and she definitely still has heat cycles. No discharge and no risk of pregnancy, but she definitely still seems more attractive to males during her heat cycles. I've been very happy with the procedure, though.

Also, I don't know where you live, but you should be very cautious about declining heartworm prevention, especially if you live in an area with a lot of mosquitoes.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Oh yeah, OSS is basically totally normal heats with no blood.

My OSS bitch is in heat right now and my male has been restless. If you don't like the idea or aren't confident in managing heats, OSS isn't much different and a full spay is probably better.
How old is your girl? Does she still stand for males she likes?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
How old is your girl? Does she still stand for males she likes?
she's 5 almost 6. Yes.
Just now she was pressing her body against my poor boy's crate LOL . She's not in standing heat yet but still teases him

1 - 9 of 9 Posts