German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So Minnie and I run every morning, but lately I'm worried about the heat. This morning at 6:30 it's already 77 (F) with 96% humidity. It will be in the 90's today, so that's why I get up so early to go, but dang it's hot already! I want to keep running this summer, but if the heat is too much for her I'll have to leave her at home. When is it to hot to take her? It just doesn't cool down here at night anymore.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
For my dogs, if they are in good shape, 77 degrees would still be fine for them as long as I kept an eye on them...

I know 'normal' for my pups. So if they suddenly started lagging or missing a step, I'd know I did too much and would walk them for a bit. But, truthfully, if they were lean and fit with me having them in the physical condition previous, what you are describing would be fine for my dogs. Specially if they were running under trees (shade) alot and had water available (creeks, ponds, streams).

If this was me off leashing running in the woods/trails with my dogs, there would be ZERO issues cause they can easily pace themselves and get water along the way. On leashed on pavement in the city would just have me more aware to keep an eye on them.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I take my dogs out around 6am also. This weekend I cut my walk short on Sunday morning it was too hot for long haired dogs. Anyway a good rule of thumb is the heat index. You add the temp & the humidity together if it's above 150 I limit my critters exercise or activity level.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kiya that's a good rule of thumb. Minnie is pretty healthy, we worked all winter getting in shape (I was just starting to run too, so it was good for both of us to work up to our current level). We can't go off leash anywhere :( so she has to stay with me on the blacktop. I was thinking about getting her a swamp cooler vest from Ruff Wear, but I don't know if it will cool her down or if the weight will make the jog tougher.

link to the swamp cooler: Swamp Cooler? Dog Cooling Vest ? Sun Protection Prevents Canine Heat Exhaustion - from Ruff Wear

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
It really depends on your dog and what your dog is used to. If you lived in a house where the air conditioning is never on and it's always kind of warm, that dog would do differently outdoors in the heat than a dog that lives in a house where the temperature is 72 degrees year 'round because of air conditioning or heat.

I think a happy medium would be to let your dog set the pace, and if you notice that your dog starts to lag or is looking uncomfortable, slow your pace to a walk and also cool her off. The best way to cool a dog off is to have them roll over onto their backs and put cool water on their tummies and inside the back legs where there are major blood vessels that will cool off and spread cooled blood throughout the body. It's very effective.

I would not use the Swamp Cooler vest or a similar vest if you live in an area that has high humidity. The Swamp Cooler works on the basis of evaporation, but if it is humid, the water won't evaporate and cool as it's supposed to, so in humid, warm weather, you are adding another layer over her that will keep her warmer.

If you need a cooling vest that is not affected by humidity, I would recommend the Chilly Dog Cooling Vest - you can order it online here Cooling Vests : Chilly Dog : Helpingudders.com They are very expensive but they work really well and keep an even cooling temperature regardless of humidity. They also don't soak your dog, they stay dry. I have one of those and have been very happy with it when we lived in Virginia, but did experience some issues with the back strap slipping until I taped it down with Duckt Tape, and IMHO that back strap could be wider (but you can put a pad around it ... seat belt pads work great and they're really cheap).

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would not use the Swamp Cooler vest or a similar vest if you live in an area that has high humidity. The Swamp Cooler works on the basis of evaporation, but if it is humid, the water won't evaporate and cool as it's supposed to, so in humid, warm weather, you are adding another layer over her that will keep her warmer.
Hey thanks, I didn't think of that!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts