German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Most importantly, no one on this earth can wrestle my dog from me and get him to attack me

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I'm a single female and live alone. I do not need a guard dog. I want a companion dog that will let me know if danger is near so I can either run the other way, hide, or call 911.

I live in a micro house and a thief lurking in my neighborhood would look at my tiny house, look at the huge house across the street, look at the big barking dog in my window - most likely my very old, gentle, greyhound who must have been a rottie in a previous life - and rob the huge house across the street.

I am also nocturnal and still don't need a guard dog. I still want that companion dog that will let me know if anyone is getting too close so I can run off into the darkness.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Wildo, I don't think anyone is against having a GSD for warning/guarding...we all know their attributes. But there are always the crazies that a dog cannot stop.
This is where a gun will come into play...
I was talking with some LEO's that I train with and they can handle even the meanest dogs that are guarding drug houses...Throw them some meat and wrap a catchpole around them. They are a deterrent to only those that can be deterred by a dog.
Agree 100%. I bet the majority of would-be intruders would rather not deal with it though. That's where your other deterrents (gun, etc) obviously come into play. And to Lillie's point- you better be **** sure your read to use it. If that intruder came in knowing they were going to have to deal with a large breed dog- they are not likely to hesitate in "dealing" with you!

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Most importantly, no one on this earth can wrestle my dog from me and get him to attack me
Did you read the big long thread on PDB about this? Some PPD trainers and K9 handlers were saying that if the owner/handler is on the ground getting the crap beat out of them, it's not uncommon for the dog to join the bad guy in attacking them. Something to do with the pack mentality and attacking the weak. Not sure I buy it but the people saying this were evidently fairly experienced.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I was talking with some LEO's that I train with and they can handle even the meanest dogs that are guarding drug houses...Throw them some meat and wrap a catchpole around them. They are a deterrent to only those that can be deterred by a dog.
You guys must be low class. . . Dallas drug houses use tigers. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
803 Posts
well, here, anywhere alcohol is served, no public buildings, no places of education, no parks or places where children play, no financial places. And then no where where they notify you no concealed weapons, which rapidly is becoming all the places I'd have prefered to have it lol

Actually if you finagle a service animal certification no one can stop you from taking the dog anywhere
Exactly. You can't carry a gun into every place you go into and I am not going to avoid places just b/c I can't bring a gun in.

I lived in Texas and yea you can have a gun but can't carry it everywhere. I live in AZ now where you can have a gun with no permit and still you cant carry it into everywhere.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
If that intruder came in knowing they were going to have to deal with a large breed dog- they are not likely to hesitate in "dealing" with you!
Ah, and that is the exact point that scares the doo-doo out of me. If someone were to break into my home, knowing that I have two large breed (and one mini breed) barking dogs in my home they are not coming in just to steal my TV.

My barking dogs provide to me that small window of opportunity to make an educated decision as to what my next move will be. And I don't have to rely on my super hero capabilities to out smart/move a crazy person (s) in my home.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Did you read the big long thread on PDB about this? Some PPD trainers and K9 handlers were saying that if the owner/handler is on the ground getting the crap beat out of them, it's not uncommon for the dog to join the bad guy in attacking them. Something to do with the pack mentality and attacking the weak. Not sure I buy it but the people saying this were evidently fairly experienced.
I'm unwilling to proof that in my dogs lol

I could see something like that happening... I just meant very simply, that someone can take my gun, or get to it first and then I'd have wished I hadn't had the gun, but no one's gonna waltz in and fuss my dog away from me and then send him to attack me lol.

But yeah, I could believe that a dog at the absolute limit of its drives might lose its head and not know what the **** it was biting, just that it was for sure gonna bite something good. I'd have to wonder if an aggressor got to the handler and began pummeling him on the ground, how did we even get to this position in the first place? Sounds like there were already some major issues. If I were in that position, I'd imagine I'd be warning the dog was going to be released when an aggressive person got within a few yards and kept coming. The dog would be released before he touched me.

I'm brand new here so I def didn't read that thread.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Looks like those drug dealers need to take some of that money, hire a trainer and work on food refusal with their dogs.

Im just saying.....

·
Registered
803 Posts

That is deceiving as it is all hearsay more than anything. I have a serious hard time believing my own dog will attack me when Im gettign beat.

Seriously....what are the odds of that happening?

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
You guys must be low class. . . Dallas drug houses use tigers. :rolleyes:
We use sharks with friggin lazers on their heads (to guard the drug boats)

I can say for sure that my male will *not* take food from a stranger and I've tested it. My female would in a heart beat.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Looks like those drug dealers need to take some of that money, hire a trainer and work on food refusal with their dogs.

Im just saying.....
pitbulls out on logger chains on a porch...a steak is very enticing, I'm sure.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I just don't understand how so many on this forum are against people having a GSD in order to "guard" or "warn" when someone approaches the house. That's exactly what a dog does, and a core reason why many own dogs.
It does seem like that in general on this board.

If you want a kick ass PPD then get it. You got every right to have one just like people have guns and everything else.

As long as you take the time to learn how to properly handle the dog then go for it.

I love mine and wouldn't trade him for anything. My 2 yr old can be a lot of dog for someone with no experience. I have 6 month old that will be turned into a PPD after I do SchH and PSA with him.

For me I love to see my dog tear into a decoy and when it's over he comes and gives me kisses. :)
I like training for the highest level of PP b/c it is fun for the both of us. Now your limits and what you can handle and go from there.

·
Registered
803 Posts
pitbulls out on logger chains on a porch...a steak is very enticing, I'm sure.

LOL..that is the thing. I don't see how people have so called PPD's and

1. Have to put the dog up when people come over
2. Don't do food refusal with the dog.
2. Leave the dog on a chain in the backyard or let the dog live in the backyard.

Dog can't help you if it is in the crate, can't help you if a person can just feed it food all the time & it certainly can't help you if it is in the backyard and can't get in the house.

Just shows PEOPLE need more training.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I'm not against people having a GSD to warn or act as a deterrent.

I'm not against people having a true PPD if they know what they're getting into, are able to handle it, and are willing to do the regular work and training.

I'm against people who buy a $300 puppy out of the newspaper and then come on here when the poor thing is 6 months old wondering how to make it bite on command.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Here where I live I can go just about anywhere with my ccp except federal property.

I do have an alarm system in my home, which I do use when husband is gone at night.

As for my dogs, they just need to alert me of a situation and I will take care of the enforcement part along with my semi-automatic pistol. And believe me I would have no problem using it.

For people who want something along the lines of mace, my brother is a retired law enforcement officer and he told me that a can of wasp and hornet spray that shoots 20ft is just as good. :)

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Here where I live I can go just about anywhere with my ccp except federal property.

I do have an alarm system in my home, which I do use when husband is gone at night.

As for my dogs, they just need to alert me of a situation and I will take care of the enforcement part along with my semi-automatic pistol. And believe me I would have no problem using it.

For people who want something along the lines of mace, my brother is a retired law enforcement officer and he told me that a can of wasp and hornet spray that shoots 20ft is just as good. :)
Mace is crap. Pepper spray is unbelievably painful. Pepper spray with OC is even worse. I have a can of bear spray, that will outshoot a hornet spray can. You can get misting or streaming pepper spray... preference and proximity to target you plan on.

The major difference is pepperspray causes no damage. Wasp spray in the eyes... definitely not good anyway, possibly permanent damage. Can't believe a LEO suggested that instead of pepper spray. If someone attacked me in my garage (where I only have wasp spray) then sure.. but premeditated use of wasp spray is no-no

·
Registered
803 Posts
I'm against people who buy a $300 puppy out of the newspaper and then come on here when the poor thing is 6 months old wondering how to make it bite on command.
LMAO!!!

Hey I totally understand where you are coming from and agree with all of your points.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Why would you get the hornet spray in your eyes if you are the one holding the can? It's also a lot cheaper than pepper spray or mace and a heck of a lot larger can.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts