German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nikon's basically a year old now, he had his hips and elbows prelim'd and they were fine (I will do the a-stamp in a few months when I have the $$$). He's in good condition, maybe even a tad underweight at the moment (just got back from 2 week vacay where he was go go go and now all rib-y no matter how much I fed him). DH jogs every day and sometimes he likes to take a dog. I let him take Nikon today and he said Nikon was fine and he wasn't hardly pooped when they got back. Would it be OK for Nikon to jog 2-3 miles once or twice a week?

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I think someone recommended 18 months to me when I asked the same question a while ago.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Some folks say 12 months others say 18 months.

Unless the rules have changed, the minimum age that a dog can go for it's AD is 14 months. I would imagine they start preparing for it well ahead of time. (And it is a LOT farther than 2 or 3 miles!)

Personally, at Nikons age, I wouldn't think it would hurt him any. 2 miles really isn't that far. He probably goes that far running in the yard with Coke!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I *think* the AD is 16 months? But I'm not concerned with that, I don't even have a bike at the moment anyway.

But that's more along the lines I was thinking, he runs a lot harder, faster, and probably further just playing. And recently he's had some really intense play and fetch sessions, he's slipped on wet grass a few times and pulled muscles. He's finally healed up from that, we did a lot of swimming on vacation to burn energy but keep the running, skidding, and slipping in check. Crate rest just isn't an option with him, lol, so I was thinking a *controlled* jog might help take the edge off so he can run and play without injuring himself more.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
That's why I said "unless the rules have changed". All I could find was on the DVG site and it is from 2001. (Says minimum age 14 months, max age 7 years.) Don't know if it has changed since then or not. Couldn't find ANYTHING at all on the USA site.

I didn't mean to imply that you were concerned with that. Just that there are obviously "powers that be" out there that feel it isn't necessary to wait until they are 18+ months old.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts