German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Hello,

I have a 6 yr old and he was not allowed free in the house till he was past 3. I tried a week when he was 1.5 yrs old, first couple of days were fine and the 3rd day i came home to half the carpet torn into bite size pieces, thankfully he does not have a habit of eating the things he destroys.
I use a giant skykennel in the home. I actually have 2 , one in the living room and one in the bedroom both of which he still uses. It lets him sit up without the ears touching the roof. Now i leave the door open and he still uses it. I do come home during lunch so the most he is by himself is 5 hrs. When i used to leave him in the crate, i always gave him his favorite treats. My neighbor also complained, i set up a free app (Camio). You can use an old smartphone or computer for it. Its free and you can watch your pup. It relieved my worry on what he was doing. I also use a snap clip to attach a metal 2 quart size water bucket to his crate, so he can drink water whenever he wants.

If you can come home during lunch or arrange someone it will be helpful.

Hope this helps,
Phebe.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
My first male he seemed to be mature when we first got him and he was two. Max really matured nice at 4 years old. I was told he grandsire still acted very puppyish and was over 10 years old and do does Max. My female is two and she seemed to mature young also as I was told her line matures young. So it would depend I assume.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts