German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last couple of months, I've been wondering what's wrong with the dogs' diets. Their coats haven't been looking good, and they seem to be shedding more, etc.

Then I realized that they haven't had a bath in over a year - yikes, how did that happen? I like to give them a bath after their shed to take off the extra fur, etc. but I guess I've just been too busy.

So now I have very shiny and happy dogs again (tons of fur from their last shed came off too)

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I do not bathe my dog unless he rolls in carrion-or somehow smells bad.Flame me but I have only washed my dog 2 times in 5 yrs.He does NOT itch or smell.He gets totally wet during rainstorms/loves to run out when the rain happens-also sometimes runs under hose water and swims in freshwater but I have NOT given him a BATH with doggy shampoo.He smells like popcorn and just wonder if bathing is a human or dog thing???

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Nothing like a freshly shampooed doggy smell

I know a lot of people don't like to bathe their dogs but I bathe as often as necessary.
Denali has had quite a few baths since I got her, at least every 3 weeks. Her coat is just fine. Not too dry, very soft and shiny (Baby shampoo only).
JMO.

·
Super Moderator
32,304 Posts
I bathe every month or two. I do notice a big difference in how soft their coats are after a bath.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Just gave my two a bath yesterday...no special reason...just felt like it

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I don't really have a schedule, but the dogs get baths every couple of months.

Usually schedule around trips to the bay, but I don't know - maybe since Lisa has rediscovered the pleasures of giving the dogs a bath, maybe we could send them up to her place?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hmm, I can see how you might forget at times! LOL! I've been pretty lucky, never used to have to bathe mine unless they got muddy, etc, or about every 5-6 months. However, the sweetie I have now seems to need a bath at least every 2 months, sometimes sooner. She seems to start getting a 'doggy' smell, no matter what. She's the only GSD I've ever had that I remember with that problem, and she does get a good grade of food, her coat is nice and shiney. Oh, well. Of course, right now she's still working off the skunk she chased last month, and has had 5 baths so far since then and still an aroma of skunk lingers!

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
I have mine groomed 2 times a year
Brady doesn't smell but I love it when he comes out
He is all fluffy

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
I get my dogs fluffed and folded in the spring and again for thanksgiving. Morgan is a dirty dog, she's always wet in the summer and don't tell her she shouldn't be laying on dirt... so she gets a bath when I notice she's wiffy. Otto is 15 months, he's only had two baths since he was 8 weeks old.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Suppose someone has a husky that hasn't shed yet this summer. Would a bath get things moving? He's just starting to shed tiny tufts from his paws.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally Posted By: Everett54Usually schedule around trips to the bay, but I don't know - maybe since Lisa has rediscovered the pleasures of giving the dogs a bath, maybe we could send them up to her place?

I have to brag though, Max *walked* right into the tub, and sat for most of the bath, and then stood nicely. What an absolute gentleman, I was so proud of him

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Lisa your post made me chuckle. I have always found the 'I only give my dog a bath every three years' posts funny as there is nothing better than hugging a squeaky clean dog! If you use the proper shampoos, especially the soap free ones, you do not have to worry about drying out the skin. Mine average a bath once a month and I love to see the dirt wash away.

Glad to read you have rediscovered the joys of bathing.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Originally Posted By: LisaT
Originally Posted By: LJsMomSuppose someone has a husky that hasn't shed yet this summer. Would a bath get things moving? He's just starting to shed tiny tufts from his paws.

Hmmmmmmm, that's kinda weird????
It's called owner error. I supplemented with Biotin to get his fur to finish growing in his neutering spot. I should have stopped the Biotin in March because he just won't shed.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally Posted By: LJsMom
Originally Posted By: LisaT
Originally Posted By: LJsMomSuppose someone has a husky that hasn't shed yet this summer. Would a bath get things moving? He's just starting to shed tiny tufts from his paws.

Hmmmmmmm, that's kinda weird????
It's called owner error. I supplemented with Biotin to get his fur to finish growing in his neutering spot. I should have stopped the Biotin in March because he just won't shed.
I dunno, I think that's even weirder!! Funny, isn't it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts