German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does it last? Lulu turned 9 months old Dec 10, in the past two or so weeks she has been out of control! I walk her regularly but I haven't the past few days because of sub zero temperatures and ice everywhere.

Anyway today she tore up a plant ALL over my off white carpet and pulled up a huge piece of carpeting. She never used to be destructive at all like this. I know her not walking the past few days has her a little frustrated but I give her exercise in the house when I can't walk her.

It's generally been the past two or three weeks though where she doesn't want to listen, doing things she never has, etc. I remember when my daughter went through the "terrible twos" and I had a hard time getting her to behave, do dogs really go through something like this and does it end? LOL

·
Super Moderator
32,028 Posts
It's not always the same from dog to dog. Neither Dena or Keefer went through much of a butthead phase, she was never difficult and Keefer STILL has his butthead moments at 4 years old!
But there really wasn't a time where they were a lot worse than before and then outgrew it.

Halo definitely has her bratty moments, and she's still a chewer extraordinaire, which was not an issue with D & K either. She's 13 months old, and I'm hoping she grows out of it soon!
So does Keefer, lol!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have taken a pic before I spent all day cleaning it up. I don't even know how she managed to get the potting soil on every square inch of carpet in the room! I had to put a carpet over the torn carpet, I can't fix that LOL

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
Re: When exactly IS the butthead phase and how lon

i adopted Gia at 9.5 months old. she was definitely a chewer & trash tearer upper. apparently other people remember her jumping on people, running off, barking at other dogs - however, i really don't remember much of that or perhaps in the heat of the moment, i described small incidents a lot worse than they were, and thats where other people came up with those conclusions. either way, by 1yrs old she'd grown (or was trained) out of it all.

i adopted Tilden at 10 months old. he destroyed quite a few things around the house, but again, by 1yrs old that was all done with. i really didn't have any (really, i mean any) problems with him until 2yrs old (down to the month) where he began lifting his leg, mounting other dogs, territorial barking, leash reactivity, etc... the only bit of that which stayed (he'll now be 3 in two weeks) is the marking and sometimes he can be leash reactive if he's bored or if the other dog approaching him seems out of control or confrontational. we're working on it - its really not that much of a hassle. he's now starting to pick up that if he's good with other dogs he'll get treats... but since he's not the most food motivated dog he'll either weigh his options is see if the treat is worth it... or he'll take the treat then still try and sneak in a bark. over all tho - its not to a point where i'm upset or frustrated, its easy to keep/regain control of him. one thing that he has added to the mix this last year is that his recall has gotten weaker. he comes, but he takes the long way

what i really can't stand is his figuring out his manhood phase which we seem to be in. Tilden has a very submissive personality and is usually the weakest link - but if he's around puppies or sees another dog being dominated - he'll sort of tag along the tough dog and then try to exert his dominance on the weaker dog and i dont like it at all. its not true to his personality and i'm not a fan of "frontin"

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh my gosh, Lulu's recall has gotten AWFUL! She was doing great in the summer but I used to take her to the soccer field and can't in the winter so she has lost most of it. I can only work with her on it now when we are at the dog park since if she gets off leash at all she is GONE. She broke out of her fence a few weeks ago and I was FRANTIC!!! Apparently she was spotted about a mile away in the park, and then walking around another neighborhood, after a few hours I couldn't find her and finally went home waiting for someone to call me who found her, lo and behold guess who is waiting at home for me? Not only that but the butthead wouldn't come to me and was playing "keep away" with this amused look on her face. I was NOT happy with her that day, not at all

Oh, this is part of the "butthead" phase I am asking about

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Adolescence runs from approx 6ish months to approx 18-24 months (depending on lines).

"Butthead" depends on your dog, his training...and to a large degree, you...how consistent you are, do you keep him exercised and in training? Keep in mind that a larger dog needs more exercise than a little guy (a mile walk for sufficient for a pup with short legs isn't much an adolescent with long legs, for example). We tend to see a lot of complaints about the Butthead Stage during winter months. Is it that our dogs have changed or our routines?

I've found that the best tools for managing this is a heavy jacket, warm boots, gloves and a hat. A bright soccer ball doesn't get lost in the snow, doesn't get covered in slimy slobber (that then freezes) like tennis balls;I can kick it instead of picking it up, and my kids will chase it and play with it for an hour or so (If they pop one, so what? I have a couple and we just trade off. They still can be kicked around).

But my kids love Snowball Fetch most of all, where they simply chase snowballs, come back for another, then chase the next one I throw. Plowing through snow wears them out even faster than running on grass, so we don't have to stay out there nearly as long... even my very small (20 lb 13" ) single-coated beagle won't get caught staying inside on snow day.

And when we're inside, we do mentally challenging games. We play hide it. We play fetch down our hallway. They learn tricks. We do a lot of training. I let them zoom around the house, and we join in chasing them and letting them chase us to encourage it, but also to manage the flow. We do ALL these things in a single day. Plus, they play outside in shorter bursts. They also attend classes, not just to learn skills, but because it gets them out of the house (especially my adult, who has already finished Advanced Obedience, but takes classes pretty much as a hobby.)

With young dogs, pent up energy is guaranteed to cause you behavior problems if it's not constructively redirected. It's easy to blame it on a "stage," but you'll see this "stage" recur every year until they're late adults. GSDs are an active breed. We need to channel that energy.

Every day, there's a neighbor that I see a couple times a day. I'm sometimes walking my dogs, but usually I'm playing soccer (or frisbee or fetch) with my dogs in the yard or the park, and he's walking his Aussie. We even see each other as late as midnight (especially if weather has broken that late at night). We say Hi, and suggest that our next dogs will be calm little lap dogs. Then we laugh, Naaaahhh.... and we get back to working with our dogs.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going to have to take her to the dog park much more and work on training. Her yard is too small to play ball in and I used to take her to the soccer field behind my house daily to play ball. I used to be able to play ball with my border collie off leash anywhere and she stayed right with me, once I get Lulu trained like this she will get much more vigorous exercise instead of just the walks. I also want to start training classes soon as I work on training myself but I think I need professional help as well at this point.

You are right, my schedule has changed from the summer and until last week I was in school full time so I haven't had AS much time for her but I was only gone a few hours a day so I had more time with her than many get I suppose. I do need to start working with her much more at this point I am seeing though.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
You may try using a long line to give her the ability to run around without being offleash. A 50 ft longline is great, but if you've never used one before, it can be unwieldy and become a knotted mess. So a 30 ft one might be better to start with.

Don't get the thin (like 1/2 inch) nylon ones. These cut like a knife when they're frozen. Look for at least a 1" line.

I bought this: http://www.rei.com/product/737298 and made our own. It's nice and soft, but it's not cotton, like many long lines, so it doesn't absorb water as fast.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Originally Posted By: StarryNiteI should have taken a pic before I spent all day cleaning it up. I don't even know how she managed to get the potting soil on every square inch of carpet in the room! I had to put a carpet over the torn carpet, I can't fix that LOL
Does this look familiar? This was from my 1 yr old Clover,
but poor Stomper acted like the guilty party(you can see him in the right corner) about 15 yrs ago...explains the decor, and pic quality

Back to crate time and NILIF!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OMG YES VERY! But believe it or not it was worse, the dirt was covering the ENTIRE floor, a room much like yours, exact same carpet and similar layout but every square inch was that awful potting soil and a big strip of carpet pulled up beyond repair, I honestly don't even know how she did it, and in the 15 minutes I was in the shower! LOL I really should have taken a pic! Has Clover done it ever since? Lulu had some serious crate time today during the clean up phase (about 5 hours) today as well!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, Lulu is also going back to crate training when I am not in the room with her for a long time!

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
That was really the only thing/time Clover ever did anything bad! She was a really good girl, but as you are going thru, not enough exercise for her breed(border/golden).
Too bad they have to "prove themselves" in such a destructive manner.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can show you this much, I have it covered with a small carpet until I can get a larger one! And that's AFTER hours of steam cleaning!

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
looks like time to do some redecorating?!! Lulu's a lil stinker!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I am worried that when my husband sees the carpet he is going to want me to re home her
he's not a dog person and didn't want one in the first place, I really had to talk him into it, he's going to FREAK when he sees this!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haha, time for new carpet for sure! It's old carpet anyway but we won't be able to re-carpet for at least another year. A rug should cover it okay though until she eats that too :p

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Stark went through a phase where he was just really restless all the time, no matter how much exercise, how much training, how much socializing we did he was just ready to go!

That started at about 7 months old and honestly, lately he has been really good. I am hoping the worst is over.. haha. He didn't really do much, except eat my box spring, but that was mostly our fault for leaving him alone all day (while at school and work) and not putting him in the crate (thank sister!).

Be consitent, keep up with training and exerise and you should get through it! Haha..

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, good advice elisabeth! I am going back to not trusting her alone when I'm not with her outside her crate and also going to take her to the dog park and work on the recall. The problem is that I have tried that and she does great at the dog park but once I try it at home she's "going, going, gone!" I have even tried the really long lead (two of those tie outs put together) outside and she does great but once she is off it "gone" :p very frustrating, i've actually never had a dog who didn't want to stay by my side all the time!

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Ya, I forget that I cracked two of my teeth while clenching them in stress after she got out the front door and wouldn't return...maybe for the 100th time!

The dentist aske me how I managed to do that. At least the neighbors loved her.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts