German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I measured him today because he is looking mighty tall. He will be 8 months Feb 3rd. He is 27" and 80 pounds. His legs are still thick and "knuckly" Child is almost 12

Attachments

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
My puppy hasn't increased in height since she was 9 months, but I'm sure there's a wide variation, so who knows when your pup will stop...

I love seeing pictures of kids with their dogs!

Reactions: CometDog

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, his dad (link in siggy) is a big boy..I'd put him at 25in, but 90 pounds or so. I don't know how tall his dam is I did not meet her. I do know she sat at 75 pounds. He looks like his dam. Maybe he had a tall mom lol

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My friend who is a handler and who helped me get him came over today and was like "he is freakishly tall" and was like...yeah? lol So I took a ruler, had him stand and marked the wall from top of withers (shoulder bone right?) and I also marked on my yoga pants where his shoulder came up to on me (they are only yoga pants and I am working from home) came up with 27" both ways. ((shrug))

·
Registered
856 Posts
When does "up" stop???

I know my girl stopped with height growth around the 7-8 month mark. She’s been 26” at the shoulder since.

It’s possible your boy has something going on with growth hormones that could keep him growing far longer than the average pup if he doesn’t come from a background of consistently large dogs. One of my good friends had a Golden that weighed 110 and was 28” - 29” at the shoulder. He was the runt of the litter and all of his litter mates were normal in size at adulthood. He lived a great long life, but struggled with arthritis at the end. I would definitely be proactive now and make sure he gets lots of healthy, high quality food and joint supplements to keep those joints nice and limber and healthy as he continues to grow.

He’s so handsome

Reactions: CometDog

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He is on a balanced raw diet. He is also nice and lean. Will definitely keep an eye on it. I think Ill find out how tall his mom is too. Give me an idea what to expect and what is...odd for his lines.

Wolfy, I hear you. I only ever put my own kids up, and between activities and everything these kids are up everywhere anyway. I just focus on teaching her safety, and I test her on it. I run a women's self defense/firearms training outfit and she helps me do a lot of classes.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Generally, they are finished growing by 9 months. Some may take a full year to reach maximum height, but that's rare.

It's in the genome - knew someone with a purebred American lines dog, and he was 28"! My first GSD was a female that was 26" tall, and one of my current females is 25"

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah...those thingies lol. Oh boy. I mean I don't mind a tall dog, just want to make sure he has good strong structure and not too much stress on those bones and joints. So his "withers" is the top of his shoulder bone, right?

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm freaking out now lolol..like "pituitary issue???" I had him stand then used a ruler across his ..shoulder bones and made a mark on the wall. Did that 3 times for consistency. was at most 1/8 of a difference up and down each time. Picked middle, got 27". Then made a mark on my pants with a pen as he stood still next to me. 27in again. Plus his topline is visibly higher than my 24" bar stool chairs when he walks by them.

8 months tomorrow..I'm hoping if he is still growing taller it is like 1/2 in more at most. No Pano great mobility. Nice lean 80 pounds even now. Can feel his ribs ok.

This was like 3 weeks ago or so:

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am going to measure my boy when I get home, where do you measure?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Your pup shares some of my boy's lines. Gunny's grandsire on his dad's side is Hoky Va-Pe. He also goes back to a dog from the Nike litter. Gunny's dad, Dyson, is around 78lbs working weight. But Gunny has 2 half brothers from a another female that are around 90lbs. Gunny will be 7 months on the 4th and is around 25" tall and 75ish lbs, and kept on the lean side.. Think there is some definite genetics going on here!!!

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
OP, does he always stand with his back legs like that?

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Your pup shares some of my boy's lines. Gunny's grandsire on his dad's side is Hoky Va-Pe. He also goes back to a dog from the Nike litter. Gunny's dad, Dyson, is around 78lbs working weight. But Gunny has 2 half brothers from a another female that are around 90lbs. Gunny will be 7 months on the 4th and is around 25" tall and 75ish lbs, and kept on the lean side.. Think there is some definite genetics going on here!!!
Cool! I have been meaning to ask about his pedigree in general :)

OP, does he always stand with his back legs like that?
No, not at all, he was turning in circles around me as I was trying to take these pics a few weeks ago. We have since learned the "stand" command. Need to take more pics.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts