German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Max is 5 months. Do pups get more friendly, in that want to be pet as they get older? Max just wants to play. I sit on the floor and he attacks. He is learning gentle and all- but it's forced. Like I tell him gentle and pet him and he tolerates it for a minute- lol.

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
I think some dogs are more genetically affectionate. The pack drive or biddable dog will want or solicit attention/affection.
Does Max want to be with you, or go off on his own, more independently? Does he push toys into you for interaction?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes- he pushes toys on us- lol!! And he'll hang in the room we are in most times. He just doesn't like to be touched. My daughter will pet him and rub his belly with me saying gentle to him and with the command he lets her. If we don't say gentle he'll bite and play.

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
I would give him a gentle massage as he winds down for sleep...wear him out before hand with a flirtpole or fetch session. He'll soon learn to enjoy the touch, but keep it short in the beginning so he'll be left wanting more.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I don't have much experience to draw from, but I wondered the same thing about my 19 week old girl - she just isn't into being "snuggly". Petting her just elicited the land shark! But I found out she really likes the back of her ears scratched, her tummy rubbed, and the base of her tail scratched and now she seems to enjoy getting petted. And, thankfully, the biting has miraculously nearly disappeared, although she's switched to licking, ick. I keep being pleasantly surprised though - the behaviors I was so worried about really do improve, and I doubt it's due to my efforts! She seems to just be growing out of pesty puppy stuff.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sounds like puppy energy to me. Huter is about 5 months and is only just now wanted to snuggle some. But its only for a short amount of times and then back to playing. You might try completely wearing him with some exercise and see if he'll let you snuggle him when he's exhausted :p

But I dont think you need to worry about it. He's just still full of energy. Right now, him wanting to play with you IS affection. He just has too much energy and curiosity to snuggle much.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Maybe never. Fiona is 10 months old and I think her dad was a cat. Petting is on her terms. If I go to her to pet her she will tolerate it for a minute and then get up and go across the room. I have been considering taking a steak bath or a chicken shower, just to get her to consider snuggling. That darn independent streak.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Stella was not a snuggly dog either when she was younger. During her landshark phase I incorporated calming belly rubs. This was not an overnight process by any means. But now at 22 months, she is much more snuggly. Well, maybe not snuggly....but she loves to be touched, massaged and brushed. That is how we usually start out day.....she gets a nice body rub. (I do this for me....so I can lay in bed an extra 15 minutes:D) She likes to be with her people, and loves to lay her head on my shoulder in the car.
So maybe as your pup gets older.....

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
One of the criteria (not primary but still) I've requested that my next puppy have is enjoying/soliciting attention. I love a snuggler and put it on my list! ;) I hope I get one.

·
Banned
182 Posts
As a puppy, I was also disappointed that my puppy was not "cuddley"; at that time I did some research & read (Leerburg?) that it can be quite normal for the breed (not to want to be touched!).

As an adult, & older puppy, she is/was very biddable, & always major pack drive. First dog I have ever owned that did not want to run, unless I was with her!! Never left her pack!!

She still doesn't want/like non-pack members touching her but readily accepts her pack; I note that she prefers (read on another GSD site) to be first "pet" under her chin, then have the hand move up the side to top of head.

Go figure, she is a wonderful dog, & her pack is 1st, foremost, on her list, with major wanting to please her pack.

As a puppy = ha,!!!

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
With the lines Karlo comes from, most all of the dogs are uber cuddly, yet not 'soft' dogs. Could be from the early imprinting of the breeder, but I think genetics combined with that made them the way they turn out.
All three of my GSD's are really into touch, never shy away from it, with the exception of Karlo's feet, he's very sensitive to having them handled.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Clipper is the toy nut! Cody was the snuggler! Clipper was always pushing a toy in your hand, covering the food bowls in toys, sleeping with a ball in his mouth,(always prepared for a round of ball!)! He has been that way his whole life! He likes petting, but didn't relax over into like Cody did! I get them to lay down to check for ticks(unfortunately) but I pet and massage them all over at the same time. Over the years they will let me examine between toes, ears whereevever, they just lay there, as long as you give them lots of rubbing, huggs and kisses along with the checkover! Clipper always enjoyed this, you can roll him over whatever! Cody didn't like to be rolled over, I had to get him to stand up and lay on his other side!

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Echo wanted nothing to do with affection until he was about twoish... now at almost three, he's a cuddle bug. Depends largely on the dog, but a lot of puppies just can't be bothered to sit still that long :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ours is not sweet either. Doesn't like to be petted, and thus will not respond to praise. Responds only to negative physical force and minimally to food treats. She's about 10 months old and has generally been nonaffectionate the entire time.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Well Zeus is 11 weeks and he is totally eating me alive =) yelping, no or anything els besides ex-pan works to stop him, he is fearless!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
My dog became much more affectionate and calm indoors after the teething stopped. Every month after got better and better. She's about to be nine months this week. From when I got her at 12 weeks up until 6.5 ish she was an insane biting landshark. I couldn't even pet her most of the time. It gets better.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts