German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When does the 'puppy' go away for a GSD? Or is it the lack of training? Will she still mature??? Do they continuously mature with age or again does it have to do with training or do they plateau after a certain age? She is almost 3 and IMO still very 'puppyish'. She gets the zoomies (I've read this can be a sign of relieving or showing stress so not sure if this is considered 'puppy' antics). She still doesn't 'get it'. If I ask her to do something she looks at me with a lot of focus but little or no understanding sometimes (even with a simple sit and hand gesture!). She still jumps on strangers and still barks at people...

I know that by the time Smokey reached 2ish he mellowed our A LOT. He was dog reactive at about a hundred feet. He once nearly bit me to go at another dog while on a walk but that has disappeared. I'm not sure if that was the puppy in him but I didn't do much to train him out of it. I believe that he grew out of it himself and hope Zeeva will grow out of her ill manners too. Although I've to say a prong may have helped with Smokeys reactivity...

I dunno. I guess I'm just asking when is a GSD mentally and behaviorally no longer considered a 'puppy'. I think with huskies it's near the age of two and I definitely saw improvement without training in Smokey after that age...

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
WD is about 15 months now. The other day he was lying at my feet and suddenly I found myself asking him, "Where did my pup go?" This was the time I was looking for when he was a shark but I miss his puppy time sometimes. For him it was the one year mark. He also became affectionate and initiating contact for just attention without needing something in particular from me.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Apache is 10-1/2 and he still acts like a puppy at times. Kiya got jipped because of her seizures at 18 months.
I can only hope that Lakota, who turned 3 in January is matuing, but sometimes I don't think she's even close. She still can act puppy-ish stealing things, she always gets the zoomies.
But thinking back when I got Apache, his breeder picked me a pup with more "play drive" than "prey drive" maybe that's the difference.

·
Registered
31,708 Posts
I saw big differences in Jax between 2-5 years. The play never goes out of her. :)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
WD is about 15 months now. The other day he was lying at my feet and suddenly I found myself asking him, "Where did my pup go?" This was the time I was looking for when he was a shark but I miss his puppy time sometimes. For him it was the one year mark. He also became affectionate and initiating contact for just attention without needing something in particular from me.
I have been trying to make my shark love me. Because he is mine and he has to. So far me 0/ Zeus lost count. :wild:

I guess all of them are different i heard 6 month to 2 years

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
The only one I can compare to, my last GSD who I raised from a puppy, had a distinct change of attitude when he was around 3 years old. This puppy, 16 months old, is still an immature spaz, lol.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Zeeva I have to say the first three years w/ Daisy were a continous run between What a beatiful girl and Daisy Im going to kill you. Then I swear one day it seemed she had settled ,Didnt destroy things like remotes would recall from about anything. Some things stayed the same her countersurfing and her need to chew the difference was w/ the chewing she would sit in front of you w/ a possession in her mouth as if to say got rawhides or should I use this . She trained me well. Lucky he was a such a good boy that he was great at a year. Hang in there GSDs are like fine wine they need time to reach their best and Zeeva will get there.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Change of attitude somewhere between 2 and 3 for two of mine also, but I don't think what you're seeing in Zeeva is necessarily puppy behavior. It could be that she either doesn't always understand what you're asking her to do, or she needs to understand that you mean what you say.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts