German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was bitten when I was a kid. I'm scared to death of dog until 6 years ago I came to american and live with a host family who has 10 dogs. But I think I grow into liking them over the years. Last year we decided to get german shepherd mainly because my husband want one since she was a kid. one year later Lincoln is here. I spend every day with this boy for one month today and omg I love him! He gets better and better everyday and we bonded greatly (at least I think so). He 90% potty train. Doesn't bite as much. Follow me around the house. lay next to me when I sit at the couch. I never thought I would love him this much. First week was tough that I thought we weren't going to make it. Now I'm so glad we hold on to him.

So question is, does he recognize me as an owner yet? He is so friendly to everybody that sometimes I feel like he just love everyone lol not that I don't like that he is friendly I just wondering if he ever feel like he's part of our family yet. He is now 12 weeks. We got him at 8 weeks.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Aww, that is a GREAT story! So happy for you and you and your husband that things are working out so well with your pup.

As to your question: YES! He does recognize you as family, and loves you! A puppy should be friendly with everyone he meets - it shows confidence and good temperament. His friendliness to others does not take away from the special bond that the two of you have. As he grows older, he may become more aloof with strangers, or he may still be outgoing and friendly.

I feel that for an outgoing, friendly dog, having friends outside of the family adds depth and quality to their emotional life, but does not take away from the relationship you have with him.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Our new puppy clearly loves me. She follows me everywhere to the point of stalking me. Of course, she was supposed to be my husband's dog, his running partner and whatnot. She just hasn't bonded with him the same way she has bonded with me. But, she has her own unique bond with him too, it's just different. I think they learn pretty quickly who their family is.

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your response, ravensmommy and castlemaid! I know the question is kinda silly but I'm a dog dummie. :p

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have learned a lot with Emma. What I found is the love you give comes back 10 fold and more. From what you say, yes He is bonding to you.

Emma will obey the wife and kids, but when I speak up she listens. Emma will follow me everywhere and wants to be by my side always- almost excessively:D She turned 4 months old Friday....it only gets better.

The folks here are great with any questions too.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
No its not silly - sometimes that bonding takes a while - it is not immediate with all dogs. You will know. You will see him looking in your eyes a certain way ... and keeping tabs on where you are if you are out and about and he is offlead. Sometimes someone else will notice it before you do.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Awesome story, glad you got over your fear :) My mom had her ear pretty much ripped off by a GSD as a kid (they stitched it back), and somehow found it in her heart to let me get my GSD (i live at home still). She loves him.

Anyways, I spent every single day with my puppy, and I didnt notice a *real* strong bond until he was about 4-5 months. Even then....our bond now is so much more intense. I know he loves me and cares for me. It takes time, and the more time you spend building/strengthening the bond, the stronger it is.

Like Nancy said, when you see him look into your eyes a certain way, and when he does keep tabs on you etc, then youll know. Berlin is not ever far from me. He always knows where I am/what I'm doing. He always comes to me for cuddles and kisses and belly rubs. He likes to lay by me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts