German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont even have my puppy yet but I will soon. I just wanted to make sure how old most gsd puppies are when their's stand up. I have read that their ears can like flop around when the cartilage isnt completely hardened too. So when should they start to get hard and then when should they stand the whole way up? :)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
There's no definite timeframe.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I dont even have my puppy yet but I will soon. I just wanted to make sure how old most gsd puppies are when their's stand up. I have read that their ears can like flop around when the cartilage isnt completely hardened too. So when should they start to get hard and then when should they stand the whole way up? :)
It probably depends on the dog. Here was Shadow's progression:

Nearly 6 weeks on 12/23:

Nearly 7 weeks on 12/29:

A little over 9 weeks on 1/17 they finally began standing up reliably:

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
We got java at nine weeks, once her ears went up they never went back down

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well it depends, some at 2 months some at 3,4,5,6,7; like my fellow friend said before, there is no exact time frame. My GSD's ears are starting to show improvement at 2 months.. Hopefully I think in about 2 weeks they will be complete!

Just remember if you get a GSD feed it food rich in calcium! Just don't feed it everything when it's young; some dogs can't tolerate milk, luckily mine can, and it loves it, I make some milk by the kibble he gulps it all up! Yogurt is a substitute as well, in fact it is better, but my dog doesn't like it that much.

When he is older you can also feed him about 1-2 eggs a week with the kibble, but the kibble is still none the less the best source to reach their full diet, but not a lot of dogs like kibble -_-

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Just remember if you get a GSD feed it food rich in calcium!
Not the best advice. You do not want to feed too much calcium to a large breed puppy. Calcium promotes bone growth and you want slow and steady bone growth.

This is typically why large breed puppy kibbles have less calcium than regular puppy and adult formulas.

·
Registered
147 Posts
my dogs left ear was up at 4 weeks old. His right ear would go up and down till he was around 9-10 weeks old then it stayed up after that. I was told not to mess with his ears a lot so i didn't. I wasn't really worried about, though deep down i was hoping both would stand up, haha.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sasha's went up about 9 weeks. I massaged them for about 10 days and then one morning... BAM right up. They haven't gone down and she has really good control of them
They show what emotion she is feeling all the time. Removes a lot of the guess work.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
128 Posts
don't worry until 5.5 months, if they're not standing by then, find a large reputable GSD breeder (not a vet) near you and ask for an opinion and help.

Hair inside ear must be shaved and then foam inserts can be glued to the inside of the ear(s) that should stay in for 3 or 4 weeks. When done correctly, the pup doesn't notice them after just a few minutes. If after this they still don't stand, they most likely they never will.

you can find the inserts and glue online several sites offer them, this one comes to mind... CanisCallidus Online Shop

·
Registered
387 Posts
Athena's were both up at 8 weeks then they flopped up and down when she was teething.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
My dogs seem to have ears up between 4 and 8 weeks. If I had one whose ears weren't up by 4 months, I would start to worry.
Here is one of my current 5 week old pups...

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
around 11 weeks they were all over the place, up and down and flopping over each other. Around 13 weeks they were both up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Feed them lots of calcium. Don't feed them much calcium. Don't mess with the ears a lot. Massaged the ears for ten days. Worry if the ears aren't up by four months. It's common for the ears to go up and down until six months.

Does anyone here really know anything about German Shepherd Dogs? lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts