When do you Spay?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know i am a newer member to this forum and a new GSD owner, but we have all read the many posts of spaying/neutering your pups. There is many conflicting opinions and research on the topic. My goal with this thread is to see the number of people that spay/neuter their pups and what age they do it. If you want to leave an explanation you can, but it is not necessary as this is just a poll.

Note: Your vote is public. People will know what you voted for!

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I neutered my male at 15 months. I wanted to wait until he was 2 years old but I got him neutered so we could continue to go to his favorite place, the dog park.

·
2,967 Posts
We have not yet spayed our female and she's 2.5 years old.

I'll still waiting to see about spaying her. She won't be bred, but I'm on the fence as my Vet (one of the top Repro vets in the state) was recently looking into a study that concluded that the longer the females keep their Repro parts- the longer and healthier they live. If we do spay her, it will be after her SchH3 is done.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I had Kane neutered at 12 months. He was starting to show more aggression, his focus on me was decreasing and he was more interested where other dogs went potty, etc. That to me were the indicators to get him fixed. Since then, he is AWESOME!! Best decision I made. He is focused on his family. Couldn't care less of other dogs, he now ignores them. Training is alot easier, and he mellowed out. Took him camping this past weekend for the first time, and a fellow camper who was also a cop and belonged to the K-9 unit gave high compliments to my boy how obediant and calm he was. Considering that there were quite a few ankle biters running around loose. :). Also, I just want to say, that even though he is neutered, it did not soften him up like some people think. He still is aloof/cautious with strangers, he will check you out, give you the (sniff over) but won't cower, he is a very confident boy. He will look at me and give me the look like "ok mom I checked him out, what do you think?"And if I tell him and show him (tone of voice, body language) he'll be cool with you but, he will still keep an eye on you just in case...always watching.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I think the OP made another thread about neutering. This one is only about spaying.

·
Registered
29,131 Posts
It is best to let them mature. Some vets will tell you the earlier the better (specially the money hungry ones) and some will tell you the opposite. Some females don't even have their first heat till they are around 9-10 months old, some even older. Any time after 18 months is best.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I guessed at 12-18 months. I want her to have one or two heat cycles before being spayed.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I wasn't sure which selection to choose so I selected the one I would choose if I couldn't find someone to perform a partial spay. That would be either 2 years old, or never depending on the situation. Don't have a female yet....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Will be watching this thread with interest. Most people are telling us to get Zoey spayed at 6 months, but a few people who's knowledge of dogs I respect alot say we should wait until she is 18-24 months.

To be honest, I'd rather avoid dealing with a heat cycle but if it is best for her we will do it.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
For my own personal dogs, I prefer to wait until 18 - 24 months.

For foster dogs, they are spayed prior to adoption, regardless of whether they are pups or not.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I could have voted not at all I breed, but as I have as many bitches that will never be bred, than those that may be, either works.

I do not mind heat cycles. I see no reason to spay and I believe it is not healthy. I can keep them safely without any possibility of them becoming pregnant, so it is not an issue.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I would wait til they are about 1 1/2 to 2 years. Its right in between. Never had an issue(behavior or health wise) with a spayed female, but I have never had a problem with a non-spayed female.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I wanted to wait as long as possible but because I wanted her to attend Doggy Day Care had to do it earlier than I wanted. She was around 9 months when we got it done.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I had Arwen spayed at 6 months. I did not want to deal with her going into heat. I also did not want every dog on the block going nuts and having an oops. I have no desire to ever breed dogs and it was the right thing to do. I spay/neuter every dog I get. Its not my place to breed.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I put what age I would spay if I had a female puppy. I've actually never had a female puppy though, all my female dogs were adopted as adults and were already spayed so I've never had a female who was not spayed or chosen when to spay (only neuter males)! My previous female was a stray I found at about 1.5-2 years old and was already spayed. Bianca was spayed as an adult in her previous home when she developed pyometra.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Can someone please explain for me the rationale behind waiting until a female is older to spay?

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
For me it is due to cancer risks in the breed. Research does change all the time though. In some breeds there is increased risk for some cancers with spaying. Hemangiosarcoma is one in our breed. Having lost a girl to this and known many other victims, I would delay spaying in hopes. It is a long shot, I know but in the study the intact females (to at least 6 years old) seem to enjoy significantly less incidence.

Canine Hemangiosarcoma | Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment of Hemangiosarcoma in Dogs

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
until i see more compelling evidence, i still consider the risk and incidence of mammary cancer as a bigger concern than other health issues that may come about from early spay. all females ive ever owned (or my family) have been spayed before their first heat. all 6 of these females have well outlived the average lifespan for their breed. this, of course is just my personal experience.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts