German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how much you guys use treats, when you use treats, and when you phase them out.

For me, Ozzy only gets treats when I'm training him a new command. Even then, he doesn't really get 'treats.' I give him bits of his canned food, which he goes nuts over, so it's a win-win situation. lol

After he gets the idea, I start using strictly praise, and his tennis ball is a treat for him. When we go to play fetch, I'll occasionally ask him to do something for me, and when he does it, he gets to chase his ball. I also make him do something for me before I feed him.

Share! :)

(Sorry if this is in the wrong spot. Treats/Training equipment? lol).

·
Registered
302 Posts
We're a long way from phasing out treats, but I've wondered the same thing.

I will say this... I'm bummed because I have to try to take back an entire case of tennis balls to Costco after I found out how bad they are for Dutch's teeth. :(

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only use tennis balls for fetch, so Ozzy doesn't chew on them. Our lab Sania, though... she chew on hers all day long. And I know it's bad for her teeth - but she will NOT play with any other type of ball. It's gotta be a tennis ball. And she'll try to tear the drawer out of the counter if we put it in there. :(

·
Registered
302 Posts
I only use tennis balls for fetch, so Ozzy doesn't chew on them. Our lab Sania, though... she chew on hers all day long. And I know it's bad for her teeth - but she will NOT play with any other type of ball. It's gotta be a tennis ball. And she'll try to tear the drawer out of the counter if we put it in there. :(
The tennis ball companies have intentionally deceived you by putting an addictive chemical on the surface of their balls. Now your dog is an addict. You should sue! :D

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
well I honestly never phase out treats completely. If I'm working a young puppy I use treats/toys to teach behaviors, reward etc.. When I start working obedience or agility, same thing,,since obviously you can't use these in a ring situation..as they 'get" what I'm teaching them, depending on the training, I will maybe give a treat here or there.. ALWAYS jackpot them at the end of routines:)

I obviously don't want them to become "treat" trained, because as I said, in competition none of that is allowed, and you don't want your dog refusing something because that food reward isn't there.

It depends on what you are working towards and what the dog responds to best, toys, treats, praise..

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Once I have the finished behavior looking the way I want it and the cue has been added, I start to decrease the treats.
However I don't completely phase out treats ever. The treats go to a variable reinforcement schedule once the dog understands the behavior. Then when the behavior is solid the treats are not as common, but I still do reward randomly even once the dog knows the behavior (sometimes I may not have treats, other times I may have them.)

·
2,967 Posts
I never phase out treats/rewards completely. I may start asking for longer chains of behaviors before I reward...but there's always some kind of reward.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Both of mine still get treats..but only during training sessions and it's very intermittent. There are plenty of times that we are out somewhere or in the house and I tell them to do something and they do it with no reward needed.
The only thing that always gets a reward (because the reward is that amazing!) is their emergency recall -- which hopefully I'll never need to seriously use.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
treats for learning the behavior. Then when they know the behavior with treats, i ask for the behavior and reward with a game or lots of excited praise.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I mix it up once a behavior is learned but always use food and clicker to train the behavior. After it is solid including distractions I switch it up with praise, fetch, and tug always. My lab is seven and still gets praise and ball for giving me an expected behavior:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts