When do you Neuter?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know i am a newer member to this forum and a new GSD owner, but we have all read the many posts of spaying/neutering your pups. There is many conflicting opinions and research on the topic. My goal with this thread is to see the number of people that spay/neuter their pups and what age they do it. If you want to leave an explanation you can, but it is not necessary as this is just a poll.

Note: Your vote is public. People will know what you voted for!

·
2,967 Posts
I compete with my dogs but don't breed.

I see no real reason to neuter unless there is a health issue. I have one dog with only 1 testicle and I will have the retained testicle removed when he's about 2yrs...but I may go ahead and leave the other one right where it is.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I compete with my dogs but don't breed.

I see no real reason to neuter unless there is a health issue. I have one dog with only 1 testicle and I will have the retained testicle removed when he's about 2yrs...but I may go ahead and leave the other one right where it is.
Interesting! Did not think of that when i made the poll! Thanks for sharing/contributing!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Glad you said that- I was going to neuter Stosh now that he's 6 mos old but I think I'll wait a while and see if I need to. He still doesn't even lift his leg to pee so he's a late bloomer.
Thanks for asking the question

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad you said that- I was going to neuter Stosh now that he's 6 mos old but I think I'll wait a while and see if I need to. He still doesn't even lift his leg to pee so he's a late bloomer.
Thanks for asking the question
No problem! I am going through the same thing with my female.

·
Registered
246 Posts
It was recomended to me by my vet to not have him altered until he was at least a year old so that he would not lose any of the hormones needed for development through those times.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I do not neuter unless there is a significant health risk to the particular dog by leaving him intact. None of them used for breeding either. I have so far been exposed to more convincing reason to leave a dog intact rather than alter him.

Did have to neuter a male who had a retained testicle. We waited until he was two years old and vet advised that also. We wanted to wait until his growth plates closed and he was fully mature.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I'm in argument with Sarah right now about when. She's listening to Cesar Millan and is convinced that 6 mos is mandatory, I completely disagree. I've always waited till about 18 mos, so the physique develops properly. She's worried because he's already a handful for her, although he behaves great with me. Ughhhh!!!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
That's not a dog issue, it is a handler issue. :whistle: In fact, in most cases it is the handler and not the dog.
I realize that perfectly. She does not have a good sense of how to project the respect that a dog demands. Unfortunately, she thinks that an early neuter is the solution, not reprogramming herself. I'm trying to get her and Max enrolled in OB together to help. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I voted for 18-24 months only because vasectomy wasn't an option given.

·
Super Moderator
32,304 Posts
Keefer was neutered at 15 months, Halo was spayed at 13 months, after her first heat. Dena was neutered at 9-1/2 months old, after her first heat.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My pup's a rescue, and he was neutered prior to 4 months.

I probably would have waited for sometime between 6-12 months if he came to me intact, depending on what my vet would recommend.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I voted for 18-24 months only because vasectomy wasn't an option given.

Gosh we think alike! lol. I always seem to choose something not on the list of choices. :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Not at all, unless health requires it later in life.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I put in that I breed, but it does not matter. I will not neuter a dog who will only be a pet too. I can keep them safely without unwanted pregnancies or their roaming. The behavioral reasons to neuter can be dealt with with training and leadership.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I would neuter 18-24 months. Its right in between.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I would wait until about 12 months at the earliest, in most cases. I have had a dog neutered before that age, but that was a stray Shih Tzu I rescued. I had him neutered right away and he was about 8-10 months old. Most of the male dogs I've owned were strays or 'owner give ups' I got as adults between 1-5 years old to foster and rehome (or ended up a 'foster failure' and kept) so I had them neutered in preparation for adopting them out.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts