German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When do you know if leash aggression or dog aggression or fence fighting or biting or other such problems are fixable vs when it needs to managed? When do you give up trying to 'fix' the problem and start 'managing' it?

I come on here a lot when I've anxiety or am stressed. I guess that's for another thread...

Anyway, that's my forum 'tweet' for the day! c:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Based on my reading and personal experiences, 90% of problems with dogs are fixable. You have to find the source of the aggression and address it. After that it's about doing the necessary training again.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
The leash aggression can be very much diminished. We used a lot of treats and positive training on our walks, it just takes time. We also practiced downs stays a lot with specialized lessons and private lessons. We have Molly go down if we think there will be aggression, it's calming.

Since we don't have a yard, I don't know about fence fighting. Our patio fence is 5'6" and solid wood, total privacy. If there was an issue about fence fighting, if I could afford it, I would install the type of fence I have now. If that did not work then I would only go in the back yard using a leash, then do lots of training with corrections using a prong, and positive reinforcement using treats.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Have someone who understands aggressive dog breeds watch you interact in these scenarios with your dogs. Often it's not the dog but the owner and how they handle or relate to their dogs.

You need to determine if you are doing things right before you attempt some new technique on your dogs. IMO

I learned more things from the mistakes I made than I can count. It's ok because it is a learning process.

For fence fighting I would purchase or build a kennel to keep the dogs away from the fence. Tractor Supply has some nice ones as does Costco.

If you are renting the kennels can be taken down when you move,.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts