German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have 1 year Old Gsd And a 2 year old Female

I Socialized my 1 year old gsd as a Puppy but he’s Not Great With People Anymore If Some Gets Close Or Pets Him He’ll Snap Or Growl, When it Comes To Dogs He’s dominate and Will growls

My Female Shepherd Is Sometimes great with people But there Times She’ll Growl, the Breeder Gave Her To Us Unsocialized And It was Winter By That time, But when there’s a dog near by she’ll growl, Bark, and Attack

·
Registered
6,709 Posts

I Socialized my 1 year old gsd as a Puppy but he’s Not Great With People Anymore If Some Gets Close Or Pets Him He’ll Snap Or Growl, When it Comes To Dogs He’s dominate and Will growls

My Female Shepherd Is Sometimes great with people But there Times She’ll Growl, the Breeder Gave Her To Us Unsocialized And It was Winter By That time, But when there’s a dog near by she’ll growl, Bark, and Attack
So what is the question? When should they be muzzled? At any time there is a chance that they could bite while you continue to work on appropriate behavior.

MY question is why you took on a second dog while still having problems with your first.

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
Why they have two dogs is a good question but besides the point now. If you are out in a crowd and want to muzzle, go ahead. It will protect strangers and may actually keep strangers from asking to pet your dogs. But please make sure the muzzles fit right and the dogs can eat and drink with them on.

People do not need to pet your dogs. Your dogs don't need to greet other dogs. They do need to stay calmly by your side. I just found a good article about socializing IPO pups but actually it is good advice for any dog!

SCHUTZHUND LIFE

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
Socialization is not going to help a faulty genetic temperament all that much, might even make things worse.

As a breed, they are supposed to have a modicum of human aggression, it is breed standard that this breed is a natural in protecting and guarding. They are also supposed to be aloof and not seeking attention from strangers.

With all that said, your dogs should wear muzzles at all times when they will be interacting with humans or other dogs if you don't trust them not to bite. Good breed ambassadors don't care what people might think about a muzzled dog. They care about prioritizing the health and welfare of others.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

So what is the question? When should they be muzzled? At any time there is a chance that they could bite while you continue to work on appropriate behavior.

MY question is why you took on a second dog while still having problems with your first.
i adopt the Male First, Didn’t Have any Problems with people Or Animals Trained Him And a Friend of Mine Told Me that their breeder Was Selling a 1 year old so I took Her In, but we’re still working on her behavior with dogs

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why they have two dogs is a good question but besides the point now. If you are out in a crowd and want to muzzle, go ahead. It will protect strangers and may actually keep strangers from asking to pet your dogs. But please make sure the muzzles fit right and the dogs can eat and drink with them on.

People do not need to pet your dogs. Your dogs don't need to greet other dogs. They do need to stay calmly by your side. I just found a good article about socializing IPO pups but actually it is good advice for any dog!

SCHUTZHUND LIFE
Ty! I’ll Take A Look At The Article

·
Registered
118 Posts
"With all that said, your dogs should wear muzzles at all times when they will be interacting with humans or other dogs if you don't trust them not to bite. Good breed ambassadors don't care what people might think about a muzzled dog. They care about prioritizing the health and welfare of others."

Agree 100%. If there is the slightest chance the dog may bite someone, it is best to be safe, rather than sorry. I muzzle my boy each and every time I leave my property. There may be whispers about what a horrible person I am to keep a dog that needs a muzzle, I don't care. He could easily send someone to the hospital. The muzzle is also a deterrent for people who insist on approaching other's dogs. Once in a while I run into some one who absolutely will not stay back because all dogs love them. Get within 3 feet of my dog and he gives them a learnin'. I really like the Baskerville muzzle. It allows them to take treats, drink and pant and is made of a rubber type material, not like the coated metal basket muzzles, so it's more comfortable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

But After my female was barking at every dog she saw, My Male Started Barking Now, So my Dogs usually take turns going outside or out in public

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
Your male dog may be maturing or he may be feeding off of the female.

·
Super Moderator
1,598 Posts

You need far better control and obedience on your dog. Your dog's behavior is the issue as well as your handling. The dog's temperament is the other issue. A muzzle is not the solution to the problem, strong obedience and control is the solution.

What do you do when your dog growls, barks or tries to attack a person or a dog? What is your method of correction?

This is normally an easy problem to fix, the muzzle could make this worse.

Reactions: LuvShepherds
1 - 10 of 10 Posts