German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was peeking out my backdoor and saw my male pitbull (neutered) trying to defile my female gsd. she's 5 months now. when is her first heat? i don't want him trying to dominate her. what do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
If you plan on spaying her, I would set up an appointment to do it before 6 months, so ASAP, my vet was booked for a month before i could get my pup in. I would ask the vet for recommendations on when and the good and bad of spaying. My vet and many people i talk to recommend doing it before the first heat, so before 6 months. However, others do not think you should spay until after first heat or at all.
I got my pup spayed at 6.5 months which was pushing it. The average first heat is 6 months, sometimes it can be earlier and sometimes it can be as late as 12 months or so.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
She was getting picked on but you do have to be careful. I think they usually bleed before they can be bred so you should notice before a mistake happens. Also Ive heard and am expecting our first heat around 10 months, my girl is 7 and hasnt had one yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts