German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is five months old and her ears are still down. Should I be worried!? My last puppy was four months old when I got her and they were already up. Is it nothin? Or should I be worried?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I would be getting worried. Is she still teething? I have a pup in a similar situation although one ear is up now at almost 20 weeks. Some have them go up as late as 9 months but that is far from the norm.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Have her ears ever stood properly, even for a day? If so, they’ll likely go up again. I would give it another month, but I’m also not one to mess with ears. If you’re really worried and need her to have erect ears, you could tape them, but you’ll have to learn how to do it properly or you could risk damaging them.

·
Registered
547 Posts
If they went up before, they'll come up again. Are her ears particularly large for her head? Do they sit lower on her skull? Have her puppy teeth started to come out?

Kodi is the same way at the moment. He has very large ears that sit wide on his blocky head. He's 4.5 months old, just losing his teeth, but now that they're finally coming out his giant ears are starting to stand for a few minutes at a time each day (longer and more frequently as each day passes).

Jack's ears were standing at 4 months, but he lost his puppy teeth much sooner and his ears, though large, sit higher on his head.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She is losing her puppy teeth. And her ears have stood up before, though mainly just her left one.

·
Registered
847 Posts
5 months old? And they've stood up before? Yeah, shouldn't worry about it. My previous one didn't fully stand up until around 9 months old. It was up and down for a long while.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One went back down. Hopefully it’s just teething, but someone in the house doesn’t listen when I say leave her ears alone. I’m hoping it’s nothing bad.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 16 week old Reagan(Rea) is from East German bloodline. Big head, ears, and legs. Her left ear is up all the time and her right ear maybe half the time. She's about 40 lbs and my breeder said not to be surprised if her ears aren't up permanently until 6-8 months.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts