German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kofi is my first sable, and from what I understand, they tend to keep darkening as they mature? Is that right? :laugh:

He is 15 months old now and looks like this, do you think he is likely to change much more?

I have heard people say that the final colour tends to be the same as when they were born, do you think there is any truth in that or is it an old wives tale?:wild:

Anyway, any excuse to see some sables, so if you have any pics of how much they changed after a year or so and the final colour I would love to see them!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's beautiful. Not sure how he could get much darker. :)

He will not get any more areas of dark--the areas where he does have dark hairs will change with the seasons, as his undercoat comes and goes and as his topcoat is shed out and regrows.
Thank you. :) I wondered if the bits where he has dark blonde will start to get overtaken by darker hairs but apparently not...

I am just curious as he is my first sable, so its been really interesting to see how the colour changes. :wub:

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Kofi is the more patterned sable I've seen. Great looking dog!

If i had not seen his puppy pics before I'd have tought he was a blanket.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I think it changes with the season. Elsa is about 3 to our best guess, and I swear she is always looking different...one month she looks soooo dark and the next month a little more muted.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I agree with Justine, the undercoat will show thru as it thickens and most often the dog will look lighter. When the undercoat is thin, darker. Also lighting plays into the depth of color with sables.
Kofi is gorgeous...what is his pedigree?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think it changes with the season. Elsa is about 3 to our best guess, and I swear she is always looking different...one month she looks soooo dark and the next month a little more muted.
This is how Millie is. She was born August of 08 and when we first moved here in June 09 she was super dark (I didn't realize it until later when I was looking at photos from the move). She's just about finished blowing her coat and I've noticed it's quite a bit lighter than it was before she shed out. I'm still trying to pick up on the pattern here. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all, so the general consensus is that they are always changing...:laugh:

I agree with Justine, the undercoat will show thru as it thickens and most often the dog will look lighter. When the undercoat is thin, darker. Also lighting plays into the depth of color with sables.
Kofi is gorgeous...what is his pedigree?
Here is his pedigree (from that it looks like his parents are untitled but his dad is Sch3 FH2, they just haven't updated :))

Moonwater Magic Kofi - German shepherd dog

·
Registered
470 Posts
He's gorgeous and that background......AHHHHH, Heaven!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
My sable was *apparently* one of the rare few that actually got lighter as he got older. My friend who had not seen him for a few years saw a picture of him at 6 and made the comment that "didn't he used to be a LOT darker?"

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Your dog is really beautiful...but WOW, love that background!

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
The darkest seemed to be around age two, as his muzzle has gotten some white since then. Overall, darker in the winter and lighter in the summer, and really depends on the light as well.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I just got my first GSD 2 weeks ago, and she is sable. I cannot WAIT to see how her coloring changes! She's absolutely gorgeous now!! But she's my little princess...can't see how she'd ever be anything less than perfect! Here is what she looks like now...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
Here's some of Masi :)

at the breeders, maybe 4 wks old?

10 weeks old

4mths old

couple weeks ago (at 2. 5 yrs old)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some gorgeous sables here! :wub:

Jprice, your pup is beautiful!

Wolfcrest, I am not very up on sable colours, maybe a patterned sable which is what I think my dog is? :confused: Cute anyway!

·
Registered
15 Posts
WOW! Jakoda you have a beautiful dog. I love sables and have really enjoyed watching mine change colors. She was pretty light when I first got her in November. She's almost 6 months old and has kind of stopped getting darker but I think too that she is getting ready to shed out some. I have been told though that Kona will be a red sable. Some one told me gray or tan and someone else told me she could even be considered a light black sable? I have no idea. Can anybody give a little insight as to what you think she is? I would really appreciate it!:help:
Her dad is sable and she looks a lot like him and her mom was black if that helps any!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts