German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love to watch a GSD's progress in coat changes as they get older.

Within the last couple of weeks, Timber has started to get a lot of silver in the blackness along his neck and back. Im also starting to see some tan coming in on the upper back and front legs from underneath the black.

I love to see a nice black saddle.....so my question is:

When did your pup lose most of that pretty black on the upper back and front legs to create the more pronounced saddle? And if you saw your pups parents on site when you picked them up, what are the chances gene wise that they could possibly pick up on the more black genes from a grandparent versus the parents?

Timber's Daddy (King) didnt really have very much black in the face and I know Timbers grandma was almost completey tan from head to tail. And his grandpa had quite a bit of black everywhere.
Here is a pic of Timber's daddy and a few progeny pics under his grandmother L.E. May Von Stutts if you click on them. Timbers uncle from the same litter as his daddy looks just like King (Timbers dad) execpt with longer hair. His name is Bruno.

Trooper King Gulledge - German shepherd dog

I wish I had a pic of his Mamma to compare to, but I dont and either does the data base.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
For the most GSD's will get lighter in coloring not darker. The coloring of course will be determined by it's parents and grandparents. Some peoples dogs never loose the black on their dogs legs or back. These are typical questions I personally ask before choosing a puppy from any litter. You can't just look at the mother and father and know that they will just look like one of them it's just not that easy. I can't get into the details of color markers or carrying the black gene but I hope this gives you a general reason why some dogs lighten up more than others.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Bandit lost most of his black on his legs when he was around 7 months he's still losing some of it. He keeps getting more and more tan.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Blitz is only almost 5 months so is still very dark, her belly and legs are starting to get a little tan but her face is still very dark and I'm sure will stay that way for a while. I wanted a darker face so so I chose from a sire that's known to produce dark puppies, her mother is on the slightly darker side of average. Here are her parents:

Mother: Riesa vom Haus Merkel - German shepherd dog

Father:Italo di Casa Nobili - German shepherd dog

·
Banned
5,219 Posts

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Blitz is only almost 5 months so is still very dark, her belly and legs are starting to get a little tan but her face is still very dark and I'm sure will stay that way for a while. I wanted a darker face so so I chose from a sire that's known to produce dark puppies, her mother is on the slightly darker side of average. Here are her parents:

Mother: Riesa vom Haus Merkel - German shepherd dog

Father:Italo di Casa Nobili - German shepherd dog
Hope you keep the pictures coming.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Here is a picture of Blitz taken today, she is 21 weeks, will be 5 months on the 13. (can NEVER get all 3 to look at the camera at the same time!!!!)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Here is a picture of Blitz taken today, she is 21 weeks, will be 5 months on the 13. (can NEVER get all 3 to look at the camera at the same time!!!!)
use windows 7's cloud program... works wonders as long as the background is stable

1 - 15 of 15 Posts