German Shepherds Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ivan was maybe 3 months old or so when we were at the vet for shots. He was sitting, and a toddler screamed, "PUPPY!" and with her arms wide, charged full speed, right at him. He didn't back up at all, but he barked and snarled, and she stopped in her tracks. It surprised the sh*t out of me! He was a tiny puppy, and I had never heard any sounds like that from him before! Obviously she had scared him, and he took it as a threat, but he stood up and held his ground instead of backing up or hiding, or acting like he was fear biting. After she backed up and her mom grabbed her, he just settled back in. So weird. I've never had a dog that reacted like that before.

Ivan was maybe 6 months (maybe a little less), when he started actually getting a little protective. He started doing those teeny little tentative woofs at strangers, or when someone knocked at the door of the house, and I'd praise him. After once or twice of praising him, the woofs weren't so tentative anymore, and he did it from then on.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I'm with the last couple of posts...Stosh is a 5 mo old male and he's getting very protective already...barking, fur up, the works. Maybe he's just practicing but at 60 lbs he's already convincing

·
Registered
167 Posts
Zeus was about 8 months when he was being consistently being protective, the first signs started around 6-7 months.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My gsd dakota became protective of me around 5 months. but person ally i think most gsds
become protective when they are adolecents. my girl is going on ten months of age and she wont let a stranger get near me unless she knows im comfortable with them.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My female has been protective since the moment she met my 2 year old son at 14 weeks old. She isn't old enough to know to "protect" in an aggressive manner or anything, but if we are anywhere outside of the house she will not move more than a foot from him even that's pushing it. I cannot bring him to training with us or she will start yelping if he tries to run off to play.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Never did. Instead, she barks loudly at people and dogs we know well. It is written everywhere that her line GSDs are good protectors, but I'd say - this information is a bull. I believe sometimes it is totally depends on the character of the owner. If you yourself have adrenaline rush often - dogs recognize it as a smell and it works for your dog as a signal that there is something to worry about, some danger is around. If you are highly emotional person - your dog would be excited and express his excitement through protective instinct. Many people are scared of her, but she only yawns. Though, Lucy would hate a stranger to touch her and she had to be muzzled during training. The story was very different with my previous dogs, Ella licked my face and barked at strangers on the way while I was carrying her back home from the breeder.

·
Registered
434 Posts
My dog, Mace has done a complete 180 from adolescent to adulthood. When he was around 6-10 months his nerves were horrible and he barked with ferocity at anyone and anything, he wouldn't accept anyone approaching us at all and that behavior made me extremely nervous (my dog prior to Mace was EXTREMELY sharp and didnt hesitate to bite and due to that I had to give him back to the breeder. he was a HUGE liability that came from a lack of confidence) but now he's approachable, friendly and well adjusted but is protective (and he has proven to me that he knows the difference between a truly serious situation and a normal one). I'm just grateful that I have a dog who isnt a liability and is self-assured and I believe he knows we have each others back and that gives him (and me) confidence. Just his size, look and bark keep negative people away so he does his job on a daily basis. I know for a fact that he has deterred quite a few threats to my wellbeing. I noticed him gain confidence from the age of 1 year to 18 months.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Eko first became protective around 1 year old. He won't let people roughhouse with me, he is protective of the house and yard, and if I'm very upset he won't let anyone near me.

Edit: he barks if someone knocks on the front door or my bedroom door :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Romany was protective even at 4 month she would stand her ground with strangers and bark with kane he was rescued so was 2 when we got him but by 2 half yes protective but would allow people to come up and talk romany tends protect everyone in her family inclusive of kane

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Sinister showed that he would protect me when he was 16 months old but he didn't actually put his big boy panties on and start to really defend the house until he turned 4 years old.

I've noticed a big change in him this past year, he's filled out and looks more manly, he has become more serious and more watchful and now he guards the house and property like a real GSD. LOL. :wub:

Draco is 6 months old and he has just started growling and barking. He growls when he hears something and then it turns into a bark. He heard men talking outside my house last night and he stood right next to Sinister and they both let their big boy barks fly. :)

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Reading my old post on this thread made me realize something about my dog. I posted that he 'found his voice' at 8 months. I can say with out a doubt his barking had nothing to do with protection. It was more of him just experimenting with his voice. See what reactions he would get from what ever he was barking at.

He is now 4 years old. I find his silence more of a threat then I ever will his bark. Barking for him is a warning. But if he is silent and he feels there is a threat (stranger, dog on our property etc.) he is serious.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts