German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Hondo is 8 months old and has just found his voice. He barks because he likes the way he sounds. I think he wants to be on American Idol. Our newest command has been, "Hush"......ok, also "that's enough!"...."don't make me get up"....."if I have to get off my fat arse you are going to be sorry"...."do you hear me?"....."Hondo!"......"cut it out!"...."alright, outside"......
:rofl: Ditto!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Zeva has been barking at things for a few months. Ppl walking down the road, kids across the street, when Eric goes near another dog. When he's, what she feels is too far away from her at the playgound.

She's very protective...

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
When Anna was about 5 months old, DH was practicing leash walking in front of the house. The dogs across the street started barking and something in her little puppy brain snapped and she let out this BIG girl bark...the other dogs shut up and never barked at us again, even now! It was more funny than anything.

Anna is alert. If she hears something outside, she'll bark and go to the window/door until we get up and investigate. I've only seen her growl once, but she does make her presence known when someone comes to the door. Thankfully if I tell her it's okay she'll stop. Would she actually do anything? I'm not sure, but she serves as a great alert system.

She did protect me from the Burger King cup the other day...I guess that counts. :D

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
When Heidi was a little puppy we had a springer spaniel who used to let out a little growl if I tried to take a bone away from him. This made Heidi mad and she would bark at him, giving him ****. That was the first.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Dozer was probably a year when he started showing confident protection. When he was younger I think he would bark or growl at things because he was unsure, now he is sure and he protects. The nice thing is that he stops when I tell him too though.

He only shows this in the house, in the yard, in the car (but only if I am in it) and sometimes on a leash when I am walking alone. Other than that he is fine. I can bring him to a store or to a busy place and he will not make a peep and that is the way I like it.

(right now he is barking at the trash removal guy out the window LOL)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was given Repo when he was 1yr old and the breeder had said that he would not show his bottom end (come into his own) until he was between 2 and 3yrs as did his parents.

The breeder was right on the money Repo used to tuck tail and run from other dogs in the neighborhood but at 2 yrs seemed to almost change overnight and runs no more. The other dogs no longer bother him and he patrols the house 3 to 4 times a night.

That was a little disturbing at first but now if we do not here him walking around at night this has become the disturbing situation.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
same here. the cable guy was outside working
on the wires. i had the front door open. my dog
is laying across the hallway. i hear someone
walking down the hallway. i turn around and the cable guy is stepping over my dog to go to the basement. i said "sorry, i would have
put him away if i knew you were coming in". the cable said "he was watching me work outside, he seems friendly".

so, my dog didn't get up to see who's entering the house,
he let a stranger step over him with a tool bag on.

i wanted a more protective dog but my GF didn't.
my GF is a massage therapist and she has clients that
come to our house for a massage. my GF didn't want her clients
being greeted by a barking GSD.

i didn't know how to train him to bark at strangers
and not at clients. so everyone entering our house is a
friend.

i like it that way. people can enter our house with their dogs
and our dog doesn't react.

Protective??

Not Heidi. She loves everyone, although people have told me that would change if I was really in danger. I don't know about that and I'm not sure I want to find out.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Josie is a year old and hasn't shown any signs of protectiveness. She may bark, it's usually the kind of bark to let me know someone is stepping onto the property or someone's knocking at the door like any other dog would.

When people come in she usually mauls them with her tounge :rolleyes:. I guess she's fired being a gaurd dog haha. Just kidding :).

A part of me wishe's she shows just a small amount of protectiveness because i don't like going out in the dark by myself and if i see people walking around especially men or a group of people i really start to get suspicious.

If Josie could just let out ONE bark i'd feel comfortable LOL then again if someone wanted to jump me they can regardless if i have a GSD or not.

·
Registered
929 Posts
shilo protective hehehe, she loves everyone and everything on the face of the planet! :3 if someone broke in she would hold up a flashlight and say "mommys room is up stairs!"

·
Registered
7 Posts
I really have to laugh when I read this. I got a female GSD when my husband got a job working in the state Correctional area. I already had a mix border collie/spaniel and I wanted something to protect me and my family. Well at 16 months I know which of the dogs will come to my aid first. The GSD looks the other way half of the time but the mix does not like anyone touching me and she is even my sons dog and she don't like him touching me. She sleeps in the hall way on duty. She is the best dog. But I still love my dog to. I would like to hope if it came down to it the GSD will be more aggressive if need be.

·
Registered
161 Posts
at maturity they have all developed a protective (as far as I can tell) interest with some of the family members. one shep I had would run off anyone approaching my toddler daughter and she would also throw a fit if any stranger came near my wife. another was more protective of me. it could have been possesive I don't know.

·
Registered
132 Posts
up until about 6 months ago my guy was a wimp. He was more the type you didnt want in a shepherd(not fearful per se just not confident). he was also all legs and gangly and teenager looking
However, in the past 6 months or so he has filled out and is getting quite handsome. His temperment has also become more solid and bold. he barks if something strange is going on, and now if strangers come to the home I watch him a little more closely. he use to be the type to show people where the money and jewelry is. I have little doubt now if he thought I was being hurt he wouldnt appreciate it. he is about 2 yrs now.
My other 2 are too young yet to judge fairly. They are more bold confident dogs and I suspect highly natural instinct would kick in if needed.
I do find interesting where they choose to sleep. At the top of the stairs to our main living area. I often wondered if they are guarding or it is just a nice spot to lay.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Dakota will be two years old next month and I've not seen any indicicaiton of her being protective. I can see her becoming aloof though.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Molly is 8mths old and the last few weeks she has been letting us know when someone or an animal is in our yard with a few barks

·
Registered
288 Posts
My male is very protective when in the house. He likes to look out the front door, and seems to feel all he can see is his area to protect. Get him outside, and it is a different story. He is alert, but does not bark like when in the house. Our female is much more protective when outside. On walks, she will stop and stare at people we meet. She also positions herself so she is between me and anyone else. They are three and four, and this probably started before they were a year and a half.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

There’s a lot of great info in this thread. I’m still a little confused & curious. My 6 month old puppy, Mac, barks and tries to chase cars that pass the house and runs towards cars that pull into the driveway. Is this “protective behavior” ?

When neighbors stop by or people come to visit he barks briefly then immediately displays friendly behavior. Is he taking his queue from us?

When he's in the house he often lays by the front door around the corner from where we are. I always assume he wants to go outside. Could his be protective behavior?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I am with you Mac's Mom.. Hunter started being protective at 12 weeks of my 2 year old son, no dog can go near him with out Hunter wanting to get aggressive. We are talking a run and lunge at.. Proud daddy, but still trying to change this behavior.

Hunter's voice is changing, and I am now learning his new barks, but it appears that he is protecting our back yard from birds and other noises, but playing with the neighbor dog.

I want him to be protective, but he needs to know that it my job first, and he can cover it when I am not home..

41 - 60 of 75 Posts