German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,286 Posts
my first gsd went into heat at 8 months.

my second gsd was adopted at 9.5 months... had been recently spayed [apparent by shaving] and had not yet had her first heat.

i've known it to happen as early as 5 months and as late as 1yr+

the 6-8mo estimate thats given is similar to saying a human girl will normally begin to cycle at 12 yrs old. its just an average... many start before, many start after.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Grace was just shy of 6 months (when we were on vacation in my grandparent's rv!) and Kira was 8 months old (at our Christmas celebration!). I've got all the luck :p

·
Registered
657 Posts
Abby had her first heat at 8 months then went back into heat aagain at 12 months. We had her spayed at 14 months. We were getting ready to have her spayed before the 2nd heat ~ but she surprised us coming back into heat sooner than we expected.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Shadow had her first heat at 9 months. Duchess had hers at 12 months. Gianna had hers at 8 months.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Dazzle is in her first heat cycle. She started 2 weeks before her first birthday.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Diabla has her first heat at almost 11 months old

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
How long do they last? Did you find all the male dogs in your neighborhood attracted to your house? I have never had a dog in heat always spayed at 7 months so just curious.

·
Super Moderator
6,286 Posts
lasts about a month, but i don't recall the breakdowns of each week...

we didn't so much have a problem with other males showing up at the house - only one and i remember our [neutered] male at the time fence fighting [new behavior] with him like crazy. our bigger problem was our female trying to escape the yard herself when she was ready to breed... and attacking our male if he tried to mount her during the week that she was not yet ready to breed. they also got tied at one point and that was a big ordeal because she reacted pretty bad and i was 14yrs old home alone with them.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Jayda was 9 months old for her first, 14 months for her second. Both lasted about a month. I didn't really notice any changes in behavior for her. She still acted completely like herself. I didn't notice any strange dogs hanging around, but I have a very large fenced in yard. Whens he was in heat she could only go outside with us.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
One of mine had her first heat at about 8 months, one at about 12-13 months and the last was at 15 months.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts