German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or should I never add something like plain yogurt to their food.

I didn't know that GSD pups should not get too much calcium when they are young until I read it here on this site. Thanks to all of you. I never would have known that. So my question is when are they old enough to handle a dallup of plain yogurt. Ranger will be 1 year on May 8. Also, I eat lowfat (not whole milk or non-fat). Is that bad for him? Should I get whole milk yogurt? It would be a good excuse for me to buy it for myself since it is soooo yummy. Oh and this is not greek yogurt. I don't really like that stuff so I don't buy it. Would that be better? Hope not.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
If you buy a decent brand of dog food, all the nutrients should already be balanced. The only thing that might be better is buying a large breed dog food. I don't think you need to supplement with calcium.

I don't know about dog body chemistry, but in humans too much calcium reduces the amount of phosphorus in your body, they have an inverse relationship. There is also a relationship between Calcium and magnesium, they all work together. I'm sure the dog food companies have these ratios figured out.

As far as giving yogurt, I think that's fine a tablespoon or two once in a while, I really don't think the fat content is significant because you'd be giving such a small portion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts