German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question - when can hip dysplasia be diagnosed in puppies? I had heard once, I think, that it cannot be determined until about 1 1/2 years old, because the dog hasn't developed yet.

I ask because I was walking my puppy in Lowe's the other day (nice of them to allow dogs, btw), and some lady came up and claimed that he had hip dysplasia, and to trust her, since she was a vet tech.

I find this claim highly dubious, and a trifle on the rude side. I didn't think it was even possible to determine that from a glance at a puppy just under 6 months.

He doesn't seem to have any issues walking / sitting, etc, plus, the breeder I got him from was a very nice, professional operation. The puppy himself was actually a german import, and the breeder said she had been doing business with the german company for a long time without issue.

I explained to the woman that he came from quality german stock and had a hips and elbows guarantee besides, so he shouldn't have a problem, and she sort of retracted her opinion.

I'm honestly not worried about his hips at all - again, he doesn't seem to have any issues. But it did make me wonder when it was possible to diagnose.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
well I hope not everyone believes any person who says that..I wouldn't want her for 'my' vet tech:)

The only way to really tell true status of hips is xray by a vet who knows how to xray hips.

Just to add, quality stock sets the deck in the puppies favor but its no guarantee of good hips. Sometimes you won't see an issue, sometimes you might.

I wouldn't worry about it, but I would xray around 18 months after growth plates close if you want to know hip status.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So sorry to hear about your experience! A "normal" person should admire your sweet baby! Shame on them!

My vet reccomends 18-24 months for growth purposes. I just had my boy examined last fall - he was not from a reputable breeder but I fell in love :) He has severe hip dysplasia in both sides as well as atlantoaxial instability. He is the sweetest guy and we treasure him every day.

My 13 1/2 year old girl was from a Czech breeder and has not had any issues until this year. We believe it is actually arthritis more than dysplasia. I never had her officially checked by the vet - didn't seem to be a need.
She had the hips and elbows guarantee... turned out to be true!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
My first trainer thought Riley had HD. He did that Cesar correction on his hind quarters and Riley got scared and whined. He said he's never had a dog react that way and he shuld be checked for HD. Since then we had xrays done and he's been to the ortho vet....for a different reason, but she checked the hips and his hips are fine.

Unless your vet tells you I would disregard it.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I prelim at 6 months. It cannot be rule in or out without x-rays. A vet tech should know this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts