German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was hilarious. I crate and rotate for now for the purpose of bonding/focus. Valor is watching puppy do the bowl. I rotate them out and Valor comes out and SLAMS his 2 front feet and 96lbs on my Amazon bought rubber bowl like Herman Munster. And his face is like "ah ha! got it!" I've been doing the yoga balance ball too. When Val sits on it he is my height :eek: I'll have to get a shot of that too.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He copied it. He copies things on tv too. By example- while working from home was watching a K9 LEO youtube training channel. In one scene they were proofing a Mali by beating him up with empty gallon milk containers. Valor must have thought that looked like fun. He went out the back door, got an empty milk carton out of our recycling..then was trying to engage with me the same way his pushes his tug at me to play lol

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually , no, I am wrong. We did try it maybe 5 or 6 months ago to work on his position my friends garage...but he was just too big. Havent used it since. I've given up on using tricks to keep him arrow straight for sports heeling. I finally found some improvement lately by just walking differently. He makes a ton of eye contact...and someone pointed out he was walking straight until I stared ahead for too many paces, then he would purposely swing out to try and see my eyes. So I started glancing down at him and smiling here and there and giving him head pets and eye contact in basic position when allowed. That actually fixed it. If I am going to get dinged for points I'd rather take them for looking at my dog occasionally. Not even sure if that is a ding in points. I know trying to guide with your head is..like gesturing. I'm hard pressed to care enough to get down to minutia though. If I want to make eye contact with my dog, I will :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts